ESA and council tax

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning everyone. I wonder if anyone knows the answer to my own personal ‘benefits puzzle of the day’?!

 I’m in receipt of ESA in the WRAG. I have no savings. I also get carer’s allowance (or more correctly carer’s premium). I am a live in 24/7 carer for someone who is disregarded for council tax purposes due to being seriously mentally impaired. 

Should I be paying any council tax at all? Currently, the council are saying that I am responsible for paying 50% council tax. This seems a bit mad to me.....

Any advice  will be gratefully received. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted


    All local councils now have their own criteria for council tax reduction and most people have to pay a small amount even if they claim benefits. With the exemption of those that claim for severely mentally impaired like the person living with you. Have you claimed council tax reduction for yourself at all? 50% does sound a lot.

    As you claim Carers Allowance this is classed as Income even though it's taken off your ESA, you still claim the money from Carers Allowance because they pay you. It's not that you don't receive it because you do. This could affect your housing benefit and council tax reduction but certainly not to the extent of 50%. If you haven't claimed council tax reduction then you'll need to do this in order to receive the reduction.

    You could also put all your details into a benefits calculator and if they're put in correctly it will tell you how much you could possibly claim, including CTR. I suggest you do this, see what it comes up with and then ring your local council, if need be. Good luck.

    • Posted

      Thank you Denise - 50% does seem a bit hefty doesn’t it? Yes, I’ve told them all about myself and my situation re benefits but I think they might have not taken me too much into account as they were concentrating more on my friend, for whom I care as they had to backdate his CT benefit 6 years. I’ll get back onto them ASAP. 
    • Posted

      Thanks Denise - you’re right I do have to file a separate claim which I’ve started this afternoon. I hope you’re feeling better by the way.....
    • Posted

      Yes i thought maybe you hadn't claimed for council tax reduction for yourself. I'm not too bad thanks. Hope you're well too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.