ESA and Early Retirement

Posted , 13 users are following.

A friend of mine who also receives ESA and PIP and I met for a catch up yesterday, she has not only taken her entire works pension pot, but has given notice at work as she has been off sick on zero pay now since May 2014 the following an unsuccessful Operation.

She is still claiming all her benefits, and called both ESA and PIP to tell them of her intentions, she intends to take early retirement from her work also, but I am really concerned as she told me that the jump sum of her pension that she will receive which is close to £25k, doesn't count in her claim for either benefit, they told her because it's a lump sum it doesn't count,but if it was a monthly payment also it would

What concerns me most is she seems to think she can carry on claiming ESA even after taking early retirement, she fully admits she is never going to be fit enough to work in the future, nor does her Dr think so, but surely if she retired she wouldn't be entitled to ESA, she is in the support group and told me she didn't bother to ask about the early retirement factor as by taking her pension pot early they should have known she wouldn't be returning to her job, she is 61 next month

I don't want her getting into trouble over this as she would be mortified to think she was doing something wrong in claiming money she's actually not entitled to, please help someone.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had to retire early because of medical reasons and have been receiving ESA contribution based for the last 11 months.   I took a lump sum on retiring as well and it was the welfare benefits officer from my work who helped me fill in all the forms so I don't think your friend is doing anything wrong.  

• Posted

Are you also in the support group Elizabeth, I worry, she is such a lovely friend to me and would be so upset to find she was getting benefit she wasn't entitled to, I'm just checking to put my mind at rest that further on she won't have to pay it back etc Xxxxx

• Posted

I am hoping I will be put on Esa support group as my contribution bases esa ends on 7th December.  I have been at 3 interviews already the first one I sat for 45 minutes then when I went in with nurse was told that as I'd previously had a stroke. It would need to be a doctor who I saw so I had to wait for another appointment. My next appointment they told me after waiting for a long time that as doctor was running late they would reschedule.  I have now a new appointment so hope I get put on support group then. 
    • Posted

Got everything crossed for you Elizabeth, both myself and my friend are in support group, I'm just so worried about her, she suffers deep depression, she decided to take early retirement rather than wait for ill health retirement from her work, she also took the whole pension as a lump sum so that is now her emergency money and all she has is her ESA and PIP

I'm just worried that she may not be entitled to the ESA support group payment now she's retired from work, but her state pension doesn't kick in until she's 65 so a few years to wait for that, just need to know for sure that she's doing everything right

• Posted

With entitlement to ESA (Support Group) and PIP, adjustments made on either can affect entitlement to DFG's (Disablement Funding Grant). As you get older, or your condition becomes worse DFG is provided by councils, these have been cut, and are now just £5,000 - this may sound a lot of money, but with disability aids some can be expensive. I have just had a "Clos-o-mat" (Toilet/Bidet) fitted the complete cost of the funding grant was £3,201.00 which is a lot of money. But in my case my consultant said it was needed, they contact the relevent people and apply for the grant on your behalf. My Occupational Therapists Team disapproved a "Bio-bidet" which cost about £1,000 - because it would not be suitable.

You still can get equipment if it is over £5,000 but you must pay for this yourself.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les had a walking shower and bio bidet fitted plus all my flat is equipped for a disabled from the council it cost 12.500 ,plus a bed from the hospital , if you have a good Gp and therapist and physiotherapist you can have them. this is  if the person is disabled not lazy , I didn't need the consultant approval , i got a career day time for 3 hours and one night time all need get all funded by the council, I never payed anything . Plus I always get the home visit from my Gp and an ambulance for my hospital appt when needed ,and once a week a district nurse come to check and all this its when you have a good Gp and nice ppl working in a council who understands and respect the disabled.
    • Posted

Phew you must be in a bad way and I thought that I had problems.

Mind you I have never asked anyone or seen anyone so I don't know what I would be entitled to or should get.

?Hardly see the GP from one year to another - no point as there is nothing more than they can do for me. Just had a letter from them last week and noticed that the 5 doctors that used to be there all have now gone and have been replaced with with some very wierd sounding names. I suppose I will need a translator next time I go.

?As for consultants, they left it with me to have a major 12hr op which would leave my chest about 50% empty - that was a few years ago - haven't been in contact with them since. 

• Posted

Hi Les, I'm presuming you are not on prescribed meds for your mefical issue's, if you are you should have a mandatory review at least once a year to allow your repeat prescriptions to continue, this is a NHS rule that all drs have to adhere to, if your not being asked to attend for this I would be very worried and consider changing my DR's

• Posted

Do you mean if I have a monthly repeat prescription list? If so, yes I do, all 5 pages of it!

?As I have said I hardly see any GP from one year to another. As you say I go about once a year for me to confirm that I still need the medication - insulin, morphine, blood thinners and a host of other stuff. In between those times I only see them if it really is an emergency. I also have to go (although I missed it last year) for an eye check up for my Diabetes. I get grief if I don't turn up.

?Over the years I have come to the conclusion that they want to find something wrong with me - I am sure that they do it to justify their existence. I go with one problem and end up with something else! So I avoid them like the plague.

?Then there are those that I know who must enjoy seeing the doc. They can't keep away from the place - mind you it is probably the only time in the week that they see someone to talk to.For me I have enough going on in my life so avoid contact with others as much as possible.

• Posted

I must admit I'm not keen on going but had no choice in some cases, hospitals are bad enough but try to only take appointments if absolutely nescassary, my MIL has at least one a week, and now can't have hols cause at 88 she feels safe if being seen so often.

• Posted

That's sad that your MIL's life is ruled by constant visits to the GP. That could be the reason for some people that I know - they can't seem to keep away from the place.

?As for hospitals - I hate the bl***y places with a vengeance.

?The food is disgusting, not something that you need when feeling poorly, the noise 24/7, the lights coming on at 6am and the beds + blankets - I was never warm.

?Had an OP appointment in Liverpool University Hospital - travelled the 300+ miles only to end up on a ward because they wanted to observe me. Guy in the next bed was handcuffed with a policemen by the entrance to the ward 24/7, guy opposite was permanently drunk (left hospital in the morning and came back at night steaming. Then one night he was caught trying to smuggle a woman he had picked up in the day into his bed!! The only thing that I didn't see was someone jacking up on Heroin on the ward!!

?Holidays abroad - I was forced to give them up just after I turned 65 - couldn't find an insurer to insure me - well that's not the honest truth I did find one that would - wanted £1600 for a single trip to Europe!! 

• Posted

I know but when different consultants tell her she must see this on and that one and she just thinks its a must, now they tell her she needs heart op but can't have it cause she's to ill can't understand why they did that, also they told her she's maybe got 5 years if lucky, why ????

• Posted

I have 2 pensions,one big,one small,I am not 55 yet but thinking of taken the small one,which will be about £10,000, will I have to declare thiS,and will it effect my ESA and PIP BENEFITS.I WONT BE ABLE TO WORK AGAIN A STROKE LEFT MY LEFT ARM/hand disabled. Advice please

• Posted

HI,

It would have been better to have started your own post with this question because adding onto another person thread can cause confusion, but i'll answer you now.

Pensions can affect the amount of ESA you get yes but it depends if you're claiming Contribution based or Income Related. The same applies for savings/capital, it depends what ESA you're claiming.

If you're unsure which one you're claiming the it will tell you on your award letter or you can ring ESA and ask them. Once i know this i'll advice you further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.