ESA and hospital?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

A friend get ESA income related and is in the support group but hes been in hospiral for 4 days and has just left and i said i thought you have to tell ESA if your in hospital and he did not know this but after doing some reading it looks like being in hospital is a change of circumstances and so will be told to claim Universal credit. Is this true that if your in hospital you will be told to change to universal credit early?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

4 days is not a reportable change of circumstances especially if he's now back home, Denise will I'm sure confirm this or put you straight and what ever you do please don't give advice before you are certain it's correct advice

• Posted

Hi,

Alexandria is correct here. This not classed as a change of circumstances at all and certainly will not prompt a move to UC. There's also no need to tell DWP they were in hospital because it was just 4 days.

ESA is paid for an indefinite period when you're in hospital providing you still meet the other conditions.

If claiming the severe disability premium then this stops after 4 weeks and the enhanced disability premium stops after 52 weeks.

PIP and DLA is different and is paid for just 28 days.

I also agree with Alexandria again here and you really shouldn't give advice to anyone unless you're 100% sure it's correct. I'm not sure where you read that it's a change of circumstances.

• Posted

this is inaccurate for anybody reading this now. You must inform the DWP from day one of being admitted to hospital. This is on the government website. The reason for this is that times in hospital are linked together within certain periods.

• Edited

You've commented on a thread that's more than 2 years old. Regardless, you're advice is not correct. When claiming ESA, regardless of which group you're in your benefit isn't affected by any hospital stays.

Disability benefits such as PIP/DLA/AA and now the ADP are affected by hospital stays of more than 28 days, linking days also apply if the time at home before returning to hospital is less than 28 days.

This thread was about ESA and there was no need to inform them 2 years ago and there's no need to inform them now.

• Posted

Thanks both, i havent given proper advice yet as i wasnt 100% sure, i told him id ask here first which im glad i did.

Denise i read it on a few websites saying that if your sick that will trigger a move to UC.

Thank you for clearing this up Denise and Alexandria

• Posted

No probs glad Denise could verify my opinion as I'm still learning 😂

Hope you are well Denise long time no speak x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.