Esa and lump sum early retirement affects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am considering taking a lump sum and early retirement at age 55yrs. I am a full time carer for my wife who claims High rate DLA indefinately plus the care component indefinately, I recieve weekly high rate carers allowance and we have a joint contribution based esa claim. My lump sum Will be £16,100 and most of this will be used for mobility aid for my wife as her current equipment is in need of replacing. We will also be using some of the money on new furniature and redecorating the council bungalow  , both these expenditures will take a large ammount from the lump sum so their will be less than 16k going into the bank. How will this affect our joint claim and housing benefits.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I think you need to check your ESA claim because it's impossible to claim Contributions based as a joint claim. It has to be Income Related. Income Related is a means tested benefit and any lump sum you have will 100% affect the ESA you claim. £6000 will affect your ESA £1 for every £250 over that amount. For £16,000 then your entitlement to Income Related benefits will stop.

Also it will affect your housing benefit and any council tax reduction you claim. The figures above will apply to ALL of your means tested benefits. The DLA won't be affected.

Also you'll need to be careful what you spend that money on and you'll need to keep all of your receipts. If the money is spent  needlessly then it could be classed as deprivation of capital and you'll still be classed as having the money and your benefits will still be affected.

• Posted

There is no high rate carers allowance either, it's all one standard payment. Also,unless your wife was 65 or over on 8th April 2013 she will eventually be invited to claim PIP. PIP is the disability benefit that has replaced DLA and there's no longer any lifetime/indefinate awards of DLA for all those who weren't that age on the date.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.