esa and pip claim.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Can anyone help with some info please. Im a single parent with 2 children and are currently claiming income related esa, work group and are waiting on date for pip appeal . Since my son has turned 18, I have lost a part of my esa. If my son starts employment will i still be able to claim both or will his earnings be included as a partners is? I can't expect him to pay for everything if I lose my benefits, will they expect him too?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi your best bet is to ask the JCP.  As far as I am aware if you are claiming income related benefit then any money coming into the household is taken into account,  including that of your sons.   You were getting more money for him before because he was considered a minor and maybe he was in full time education?   Now he is considered an adult and his income will count as well.   I think it's different from a partners though.  

Until your son is working he needs to claim JSA so there will be a bit of extra mioney coming into the household.  It won't be much - around £50 but better than nothing.  x

• Posted

Hi Niks,

You will only lose part of your ESA, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit if your son turns 18 and is no longer further education. However, this is not always the case - if your son takes on further education in certain subjects you can claim ESA, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit but the course must be one that is listed with the HMRC Guildlines. A child can be claimed for upto the age of 21 if he is still in Further Education courses that the HMRC recognize. A job will stop everything Benefit-wise that you received for him.

You will find that some courses in Further Education and they must be at least 16 hours, to qualify. It is possible for your son to do part-time work as well. You would need to check with JCP for a complete rundown. But your current situation would mean you will be worse off per week, which will be in ESA, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit, because as hypercat stated he would no longer be classed as a minor.

If you had a partner then the rules change, you would still receive full Housing Benefit and Council Tax paid. But this only occurs if you had a partner on PIP with the Enhanced Rate of Care. This cancels out any cuts to your benefits, even with a child in part time work. There is no limit what he could bring home that would affect any income.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the replies. He's done a years college and is not returning. I lost all benefits for him back in Jan which I knew I would. Part of my esa too cos he can now look after me so I'm not as vulnerable.. Currently waiting on pip appeal for daily living allowance so took huge drop back in September. Struggling as it is but if his wages cancels out my benefit I won't be able to pay bills as can't expect him to pay all rent,ct and fuel bills. I might pop to citizens advice and see what they say. rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi you will keep some benefits,  of course you will,  but your son is now classed as another adult who has to pay his share in.  He won't be expected to pay all your rent,  council tax and fuel bills just part of them. 

I do know this Govt is hitting the poorest the most (to pay for tax cuts to their millionaire friends and give themselves big pay rises),  so you might well end up worse off I'm afraid,  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.