ESA and pip. what to do.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

Just a short question I've been pondering over a while. I am in receipt of ESA income related, in the support group of as last year. I suffer from long standing rheumatoid arthritis of nearly 30 years.at 1st i claimed the old DLA. As well as ib. After 4 years of annual interviews with so called dhss doctor's, i gave up claiming DLA. Stupid i know, but that is how the humiliation got me. That was 20+ years or so ago. I'm now much much worse. Here's my question. Do i claim for pip now or let it go again? Or will me forfeiting those years of DLA go against me. I'd be much interested to know what people on here think of the situation and if anyone is or has done the same.

Many thanks. Take care Ian.x

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I would have thought any previous awards or benefits made many years ago are irrelevant to your situation today.

After so much time your condition would probably have changed and they would want to know that if you were still claiming anyway.

Make a claim for pip and see what happens.

Mike

• Posted

Hello mike.

Like i say i was claiming for myself but the benefits were given different names and I'm assuming different rules then.i was on incapacity benefit with DLA and disability mobility allowance. gave up the latter two and stayed in receipt of IB. I wasn't asked to go for another f2f ever again. Until..ESA. then fun started. somehow get the feeling I somehow dropped off the radar. Give it some thought this weekend.

All the best. Ian.

• Posted

Hi,

Why would it go against you? DLA and PIP have differnet criteria. PIP is more about how your condition/s affect you in daily life and not about a diagnosis. Have you taken a look at the PIP descriptors? I would advice you to because it'll help you understand what it's all about. You have to prove that you fit into those descriptors. You've got nothing to lose by ringing to start a claim off. Send plenty of evidence in with you claim and dont rely on them to gather this or ring any medical professional because they very often don't. If awarded your money will be back dated to the day you rang to start a claim off. If unsuccessful then it's Mandatory reconsideration first then Appeal. Only you can decide if you want to start this claim off. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise.

Good to hear from you again. I really don't know why I'm thinking it could go against me, i just wondered if i had someone read my claim they might get to thinking well he's gone this long without claiming why should we give it to him now. silly i suppose but can't help thinking it. As for descriptors I've no idea what they are for pip. If i fill form in would i go for a face to face and examination like ESA and the original DLA? It's bad enough going for the face to face with ESA. I'll go on Google after me tea and look descriptors up. Ta for that. Ian x

• Posted

It's the same sort of thing as ESA but the criteria is totally different. Being in the Support Group won't help a claimant get PIP tho sadly because they're 2 different benefits.

• Posted

Apply for PIP You have nothing to lose. DLA and PIP have different criteria. PIP us about how your condition effects your daily living. Good luck
    • Posted

Cheers

bobbybo1.

I know you're right in a way im just worried about how far the DWP would go to squeeze more money out of those who haven't got it. Anyway I'll give it serious thought this weekend over my bacon sarnies. 😋

• Posted

Ian go for it, study the descriptors which can be found on google and you can see what counts and how many points each answer is worth for you.  As others as said you got nothing to lose.  My hubby, well  took him 3 years to get the DLA  many years ago.  Rules all changed, walking distance changed so he just recently applied for PIP and got standard rate for both living and mobilty.   He to claimed on rhematoid athritis.  So no dont let it go, your entitled, go for it. But remember your anwers  in the PIP form, or should i say book!  its how your ailment affects your from day to day, not what its called.  Good luck, ask on hear for anymore advice. Takes a while to fill in the questions so allow yourself plenty of relaxing time.

Sue 

• Posted

Cheers Susan. Much appreciated. Think it's a case of my confidence taking a bit of a battering. Just that first step get over. Makes it worse living on your own with noone her me up. Anyway I'll give it good thinking over. I'll post again what happens next. Gulp!! ;-)

• Posted

That should've read noone gee me up. Wonderful invention the smartphone. That clever can't even spell! That's my excuse anyway. :-)

• Posted

Apply for the PIP form Ian, you dont have to apply but at least you will have it, dealy with one page at a time, two pages in one day. I appreciate not good on your own but dont let that deter you.  Do you not have any friends or relatives that could help you?  As for smartphone text, you would laugh at what ive ended up sending people in error lol, luckily were my sons so knew i never meant what i sent .!   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.