ESA and pop wanting to move from Banbury to Bournemouth

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all i really need some advice please

im 50yrs old and have pip and live a sad life with deep depression and dont go out with agrophobia and my husband is fully blind and he gets high pip and esa but we are so unhappy in my home town of banbury in oxfordshire due to loosing our grand daughter and getting hounded by his four grown up kids and there is too many people to do with the issues of loosing our grand daughter thats really bringing us down with me daily feeling suicidal we have been to bournemouth a few times over night and we feel so happy and relaxed but worry that we will have to stop our esa moving to a new bourough and finding a landlord that takes dhss and pets and when i look all that up it gets me so stressed is there anything or anywhere that can advise up or know of any landlords as we are living in a local council bungalow with my 29yr old son who works

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i think you are best getting in touch with CITIZENS ADVICE or your WELFARE RIGHTS office to help you. Also contact your housing office to see if they can help.

• Posted

thank you as we was going to check with cab but know that they are volunteers and have limited advice but thank you . my husband wont let me get in touch with our council as he says if you ask them anything they will then know you want to leave and stop our money and ive said loads of times they dont do that

• Posted

what about a housing association they ate normally okay. I'd look some of them up. The council will not stop your money. Just be honest with them and tell them you need to move for health reasons. There are homes for over 50's. Your GP should be able to help you and your husband especially if the stress caused by his family is causing you and/or your husband problems.There is help out there. GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

Housing associations have ridiculously long waiting lists and if you don't have a connection to the area you want to live in then you have zero chance of successfully getting a house. Sadly there is very little help out there for those claiming benefits. Sad but so true. As the years go by it just gets even harder and i'm speaking from experience.

• Posted

thank you i know it is hard and i try to give up on the idea but after awhile hubby says i cant stand it here with my four kids i want out knowing that i then carry on all the stress

• Posted

HI,

It's very difficult to find a landlord that accepts housing benefit tenants. Sometimes you will find a few but then you'll be asked for a guarantor and it will most likely be a home owner one that they will require and this makes in even more difficult. I highly doubt that an advice agency will know of any landlords that accept people claim DSS. A local council in that area may have a list but i've often found that the list is extremely outdated and most of the landlords no longer exist.

You could try gumtree for that area, there maybe some on there.

Another thing to remember is that moving to a different local council will mean you will have to claim Universal credit. This will then end your ESA claim and all your payments will be under UC. When you first claim UC there's a 5 week wait for your first payment and any ESA you receive in that time will be deducted from your future UC payments. Housing benefit will then be part of your UC payments and will be paid monthly.

• Posted

thank you for your reply it is difficult as i had to stop work due to my fibromyalgia but my husband is fully blind now and has angina, i know that our council has advice people at our council so i will email them thank you though

• Posted

You will need to contact the local council of the area you want to move to, to ask if they have a list of private landlords in the area. Not your local council because they won't have lists of other areas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.