ESA and Savings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, need a bit of advice, I am in the Support Group for ESA and have been for over a year now, I have to send in bank statements and proof of savings.

we have a savings account so that's not a problem, I have an ISA and so does my husband, he has a small work pension and this affects my claim, just wondering what I need to declare, obviously nothing to hide.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Have a look a the ESA website under your income and savings 

you and your partners income 

savings over £6,000

pension income

i would declare everything as it may effect your support group ESA 

If you don't they will stop your claim 

Give them a ring if in doubt 

Regards 

paul

• Posted

Hi Eloise,

It is best to declare everything, as Paul stated.

As regards to bank accounts, sometimes the DWP will do a random check to see if you have any ISA's in your names.

My wife and I, both have to declare ours, and mine only has £1.58 in it! Stupid if you ask me, but then ISA's can hold up to £16,000 in each account which is way over the limit if you both have ISA accounts.

I was once asked to attend a Fraud Office at our local council offices for not declaring my ISA, and nor my wife's which had about £20 in at the time. But, mine had just over £11.00 in, it can be classed as fraud, because all should be account for, even though it may be stupid amounts like my wife and myself.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Brilliant thats what I've done sent proof of everything as got nothing to hide and it's always best to be up front xxxx
  • Posted

Hi you need to declare everything,  including your husbands pension as it could affect your claim.   x

• Posted

hypercat, as I've already stated I've sent copies of EVERYTHING they've asked for, no way would I try to hide anything.
  • Posted

So long as you dont have £16000 in total, it should not affect your claim.

depending on how much you do have i would not say nothing about pension or an isa.

But like i say if you both have a total of over £16000 with your isa's and bank account than you would be safer confirming it. As you would'nt want ot get a massive fine or go to prison.

• Posted

Hi the poster has to declare all savings including ISA's and also any incoming money ie the pension.  If she doesn't then technically she is committing fraud.   It sounds like she is on income based benefit which is why the information is needed.

She will also need to supply bank statements etc. for her claim. x

• Posted

I am actually in the support group and it's contribution based, I have no income apart from my PIP, but as I keep repeating I have returned ALL EVIDENCE of every penny we have between us

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.