ESA and work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to go back to work very soon (after depression and anxity issues) but I am not sure how it will work after I go back. If it will continue for a short time or it will just stop dead. I will be working just over 18 hours a week. This is also something I have arranged myself and I am not sure if it is the correct thing to do, in terms of for myself and if I can handle it. Any help would be useful. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was in your situation recently and signed myself off from Esa by ringing the Dwp and asking them to suspend my claim , feeling very nervous I would be able to hold down the job. As I was doing,16 hours I arranged to get Working tax credit. You have three months to see if you can do the job. If you find you can't within that time you can go back to your same award. I hope that helps a bit. I felt desperate to work again and also found the job independent of the Job Centre after recovering at home for 16 months, from shoulder surgery, panic attacks and Fibromyalgia

• Posted

Well you are very lucky to get the chance to go back to work and as for esa I don't know cause you will be getting tax credits or something like that

• Posted

Another thing you can do to ease you back into work is permitted work where you can only earn £115 a week and still get ESA

• Posted

Hi Donna,

On a personal front like you I went back to work part time after 7 years of enforced medical retirement because I was going mad at home and in the benefit system.

I gradually over the years increased my hours and now work full time despite 8 medical conditions and assessed at 60% disabled ( industrial injuries)

On the benefit front you have some advice- mine is for you - pace yourself, relax on your days off and weekends, don't take on too much, let your employer know if you need extra equipment to carry out your job, they have a responsibility. I thrive on working and being busy, I returned to work yesterday after a bad asthma attack to be told to go home again at midday but I know my limitations. ( but my wheezing tends to worry people!)

I hope it works out for you, it can be hard work, exhausting but rewarding xx

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, I'm working and just taking too much money home, so it will all stop. (But it's not about that, I just want to know where I stand and so on) I am very very lucky to have an understanding boss who knows and understand what I'm going though.

Best of luck to everyone, I know how hard it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.