Esa assesment

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello ive been on esa for a while and was sent a esa assesment form to fill in and send back i think esa50 or something so i filled it all in sent back then heard nothing for 4 months then that i have an esa assesment meeting yesterday which i went to with relative and all my medicines as i suffer depression anxiety and lose control of my bowels the bottom way and a letter from doctor etc the assessor then told me at the end of the interview that she was going to advise the dwp that i ahould be placed in the support group for an 18 month period. Which sounds great as my illness affects me so badly but how much weight does her professional opinion mean to the DWP?? Any advice please as i now have to wait all weekend and longer for the decision thank you in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matthew

Yeah sounds good mate so you'll be claiming ESA for 18 months. They may ask to see how your condition is then. As you'll be on the support group you wouldn't need to sign on anymore or send sick notes, you can relax for a bit.

Good luck

Neil

• Posted

Thank you very much i know the assesor doesnt make the decision but surely shes given me 15 pts and something to suggest to the decision maker in the dwp that i be placed in support group for 18 mths just wondering how long before ill get the letter as im on esa and in support group already this was a reassesment
    • Posted

Sorry to bother you but as youve read that i went for a te assesment as already been on esa for 18 months and now the assesor told me she will be advising the dwp dm to put keep me in support group for another 18 months i have a esa payment on this week coming up will i get my full amount as normal cos i havnt failed anything and onv with suicidal tendencies that she was made aware of by relative that came in with me and no bowel control and depression and anxiety should i be ok as i know decision maker has final say in dwp but surely the assesor didnt have to tell me anything and just that my report will be sent to the dwp not that sheel be recomending the support group for me and thats what the lady said 18 mths ago when i went for my first esa assement and true to word i was placed in it for 18 months im just a little worried but guessing assesor disnt have to even say anything to me about what she would suggest surely looks better for me? Sorry for rant but you seem to know more so would like your opinion and advice please?
    • Posted

As you've only just had your assessment i'm sure a decision hasn't been made yet. I would have thought you'll have your normal money this week. However no one can really tell you for sure. You can ring DWP and ask how much money you're going to have this week then you'll know.

• Posted

This sounds mighty familiar.

​I had major money problems with the DWP with my ESA award back in 2010.

​It took them over three months to pay me anything and then they got the amounts wrong. They had to re-build my claim and do it as a clerical one - had no end of problems of missing/late giros from May 2010 till when I was 65 in June 2013.

• Posted

Hey Matt

It's hard to say individually but I know what it's like waiting to hear, it's the worst feeling ever. I'm also waiting to hear and I haven't felt this bad for ages (long term depression/anxiety sufferer) If anything this has worsened it.

You'll just have to see what they say it I'm and many others are in the same boat.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

Thank you denise and my parent rang dwp today they said payment this week is fine and as i provided doctors letter as evidence in esa assesment then it shouldnt change atm as im already in support group. What my mum is saying tho is the assesor obv took notes and photocopied doc letter etc for evidence she then cut interview short and told my mum and me that she will be sugesting to the dwp dm that i be placed in support group and for 18 mths. Now is it my understanding these assesors dont have to say anyting about what they are going to suggest and only that they will submit the report to the dwp?? So if shes said that then it might bode well??
    • Posted

Have you been on esa before neil? And how long have you been waiting from assesment to your decision? Hope you dont mind me asking that?
    • Posted

Hi Matt

I think it was about month overall, approx 2 weeks after my assessment I received confirmation but noticed the funds were in my account before that.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

Hi neil just had my decision letter today and ive been placed in support group for at least 18 months. Have you had yours yet? Hope so and its positive.
    • Posted

Hi denise just wanted to let you know ive had me decision letter today and ive been placed in tje support group for at least 18 months so very relieved and can try and get better thank you for all your advice
  • Posted

Once an assessment has been carried out it finds it's way to the 'audit team'. Their job is to review the results and recommendation. If they feel that the assessor has been too lenient it is returned to the assessor to down grade the report, once it is finally accepted by the 'audit team' it finds it's way to the DWP Decision Maker. He/she does not have to agree with the report but generally it is accepted.

?So no matter what the assessor says it has to go through a few more hoops before it ends up with the DWP.

• Posted

Assessments aren't always sent to audit. They're chosen at random and are checked for quality control.

• Posted

Dont worry about it, if they said you'll be on the support group not sure why they would fail it. Even if they do you might be put on the work group, however don't worry about what other people say everyone is different.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

sounds stupid, but how do you know assessments arent always sent to audit? how do you know theyre chosen at random and for quality control?
    • Posted

There's a program on BBC I player about esa/pip and the assessors, it's a bit of an eye opener.

• Posted

Thank u very much for your advice it just is so worrying to lose the money i depend so much on just have to wait until the letter with decision comes but thank you loads.
    • Posted

I know all about that. After losing the right to claim PIP the DWP shut down my DLA. This in turn closed down other benefits. All in all I have lost over £250 a week in benefit income. It was a shock, it was depressing to find that life had to change. Luckily I had an insurance policy that was there to pay off the mortgage. I cashed it in and am now using it to supplement what is left of our income.

?Paying off the mortgage is now on the back burner and I'll worry about that in 3 years time when it is due to be repaid.

?You actually do manage to find a way round it when things go wrong.

?If that money wasn't there we would have found other ways such as better budgeting and getting rid of costs that weren't important like Sky, mobile phones and the car. 

• Posted

Hi les just to let you know i had my decision letter today and it has placed me in support group for at least 18 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.