ESA assessment worried about outcome!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all this is my first post,

In January 2017 my mom was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was claiming job seekers at the time within months of being diagnosed she deteriorated very quickly and it was heartbreaking to watch, she went from being able to cook, wash, dress herself to not being able to do any of these things and by may 2017 she was in so much pain that I needed to leave university to look after her full time in May she was referred to pain management which were still waiting for her to be seen and the GP have her a sick note so in may 2017 she applied for ESA and was awarded the assessment rate and since may she has been on ESA. In may she also applied for PIP , she had her assessment in august and in September was told she'd failed her PIP assessment we didn't appeal as my mom is in to much pain she just couldn't be bothered with having to go to court ect as it was too much for her, then in November we noticed her memory was going she would forget that the stove was on and has burnt a lot of pans and on more than one occasion I have come home and the kitchen is full of smoke and the smoke alarm going off and my mom in bits not knowing what's going on, she's also gone out to go shopping in town as she has for years and has forgotten were she's going or were she is and has gotten lost in more than one occasion so after telling the doctor all of this mom has been sent to a memory clinic to find out what's wrong as she said we need to rule out dementia but she said that memory problems can be another symptom of fibromyalgia called brain fog it mimics dementia and we both agreed mom can't be left on her own at all for her own safety as well as others. I have been my moms full time carer since May, I wash her, dress her, wash her hair, help her to sit and stand, cook all her meals , help her on and off the toilet ect. I also go everywhere she has to go like shopping in town, hospital appointment ect.

In December 2017 we got a letter for moms ESA assessment for January 9th 2018, then on Jan the 9th we went for the assessment , I helped her sit in the waiting room as she can't sit down unaided as the pain that runs through her arms. After about 10mins she was starting to become in to much pain and starting to stiffen up so I helped her up and she walked around the waiting room the with my help sat down again, not long after that we were called through the HCP took us through the to the room I help mom sit down and then he asked about moms fibromyalgia and mom was in to much pain by this point that she didn't really answer many questions so got all his info from me as mom could not even look at him she was in that much pain he only asked a few questions and I told him all the above of what I do for her, I also told him mom can't even sit through a film and that I have to pause it several times because of her pain, then I gave him a support letter from moms GP the GP said the same as me in her letter that mom depends on me for daily care like washing and dressing and that mom is in constant pain all over, she also mentions in the letter about moms memory and her getting lost and burning things by forgetting there on. Then after reading the letter he asked about medication and about memory and then said he is going to take photocopy of the GP letter and mom prescriptions then when he came back he said he can see mom is in a lot of pain and that he has all the evidence he needs. We were only there 20mins and was shocked at how quick it was and are worried now.

Now nearly four weeks later we still have not heard the outcome yet and were getting more and more worried what the outcome will be as we're living off moms ESA as being a full time carer I can't look for work as there's no one who would look after mom she depends on me. And has she failed to get pup I can't claim carers allowance. So if mom fails to get ESA we don't know what to do.

I have read on other forms that a short assessment normally is a good thing? I'm really worried as if she fails were in a UC area and with all the horror stories of universal credit were worried we will loose our house.

With mom failing her pip were worried that she will fail her ESA , mom was on ESA years ago as she also suffers with Arthritis and she failed that assessment years ago so she's failed tow assessment. Mind you the ESA assessment from a few years ago she didn't have fibromyalgia or memory problems and didn't rely on me. And I'm not sure weather she could face appealing as we won't have the money for it and with how bad her fibromyalgia is she get exhausted from the pain so im not sure if she could physically go through an appeal. Any advice will be welcome as every time the post comes to the door were scared out of our minds.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lovely, fingers crossed she hasn’t got it but if she had the injections make the world of difference x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.