ESA Assessments Query + an Apology

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I would like to ask a few questions regarding ESA.

But first I wish to apologize to Denise that does a very good job on here, and I know I should not have done, what I did. The trouble is my medications are being constantly, this causes all sorts of mental issues. Half the time I do not even know I am doing things that I shouldn't be. My family has got used to my bad days, where I can say some very bad things. 

I know I should not take out issues to people on here, and I know I upset Denise. I hope you can understand that we all have problems, some worse than others. I do not like holding grudges with people, and life is short - so anyone else I upset with my last post please ignore. Denise, I know you meant well I should be more considerate towards people, again I apologize profusely.

Back to my issue...

I have noticed many people on here have or had new ESA Assessments. What I would like to know is does this affect everyone?

Up until recently, I was on Contribution Based ESA in the Support Group. However, I was one of the thousands that were placed in the wrong ESA type after being changed from Incapacity Benefit back in 2013.

I have been since then taken a check over the phone to ESA, regarding my claim. This then showed I was supposed to have been placed in the Income Related ESA Support Group. 

Hence, I was awarded back pay of nearly £7,000 and my weekly amount has been adjusted accordingly. I have informed my local council of the change, but they said it did not affect Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.

Now, I have been on the sick since the early 1990's, back then I was on Invalidity Benefit before it changed years later to Incapacity Benefit, and then again in 2013 to Contribution Based ESA in the Support Group.

Now, in all this time I have only ever seen a Private Doctor which was due to circumstances beyond my control, and it happened due to me moving towns.

Also, please note I am not on PIP, I am still on DLA High Rates for Care and Mobility Allowances. So, I am still waiting for that to change as well.

But the ESA confuses me, why are many people being reassessed for ESA, when I have not been seen by anyone. It's now 2018 and I've been on ESA since 2013, with no breaks. Does everyone at some point have an Assessment for ESA?

I have not found anything on this issue. 

Regards,

SteV3.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Steve,

No worries, I know we all get angry about things and i'm by no means an exception to that. We all say things in the heat of the moment and go on to regret it later. I've been there and done that myself. 

As for your ESA re-assessments, yes we are all re-assessed at some point. The fact you've been on ESA for 5 years without an another review isn't new. There are lots of people who haven't been contacted, whether that's because of a backlog or whether it's because you've been "over looked" They will catch up with you at some point and that ESA50 form will appear through your door when you least expect it to. The good thing is, is that your money will continue because they can't find you fit for work without a face 2 face assessment. 

They did change the rules however, for those in the Support Group only and this was done last year. Certain people with certain conditions that meet a particular criteria could be given lifetime ESA without anymore reviews BUT a decision will be made after the next time a claimant is assessed. To be re-assessed they would have and will send the ESA50 form. Not everyone will be awarded this and I've only read a few people that have successfully be awarded this. 

So my answer is try not to worry because until you receive that ESA50 form you have nothing to worry about. 

Take care Steve! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.