ESA back payment

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband gets ESA contribution based and income based and is in the support group.

In 2017 we notified DWP that our savings had gone over £6000 and they adjusted his payments.

As the money went down we informed them but they never reduced the amount they were stopping him. In March 2018 we informed them the savings were below £6000 and still they carried on stopping money.

After many weekly phone calls they asked for receipts for goods purchased with the money. They also asked for all bank and building society statements and all credit card statements back to January 2016.

We provided everything they asked for, we have nothing to hide.

Finally in November they said it was with the decision maker for deprivation of capital.

As we still hadn't heard anything , I phoned in the new year only to be told the decision had been made in November but not implemented or letter sent !!. We had not deprived ourselves of capital.

This has now been done but they say we are only due back pay of the money they stopped us from when the decision was made not when our savings went below £6000.

This is a difference of £500. Should it be back paid from March, we kept them informed, or are they right back paying from November?

Sorry for the long post but I've given you all the facts.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My thoughts are it should be from when your savings went below £6,000.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Denise. Your thoughts are the same as mine. I did question it when they told me the decision had been made but two DWP staff members including a manager said no.

Think we will take it further as it doesn't seem right. I phoned them every week for months, it's not our fault they're so slow.

Will let you know how I get on, might take while though.

• Posted

No problem. I'd advise speak to an advice centre near you. If i find anything in the meantime i'll let you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.