ESA carers allowance

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

My Mother used to be my carer but because of her age and her own health issues it is getting more difficult

My Cousin has taken the rains so to speak and as he is with me virtually every day and claiming JSA  I advised him to claim Carers allowance which he did and has been told he does qualify and starts getting it 9th July

He’s JSA will drop from £73.10 to £44.50 a week

I am on ESA support group and getting £110.75 a week my question is how will this affect my ESA and will my Cousin still need to sign on at job centre once a fortnight?

Thanks for your help

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know so because I was on universal credit and a carer and I received the carers element around £150 a month and I was exempt from all job search activities

• Posted

Thanks. I did actually advise Mick that his care would get exactly that and that he would be exempt from job searches. However, at the moment his carer is claiming JSA and he would be exempt from job searches for this because of the JSA agreement.
    • Posted

That was meant to say However, at the moment his carer is claiming JSA and he wouldn't  be exempt from job searches for this because of the JSA agreement.

I hate that we can't edit posts!!

• Posted

Thank you again Denise, as I understand you if he stays on JSA he would not be exempt from job searching because of his JSA agreement and they would expect him to look for part time work unless his job advisor changes his agreement to take into account his caring roll

The other option is for him to claim UC in which case he would be exempted from job searching completely, the down side to this is the 6 week waiting period however this may be his best option

• Posted

Yes, that's exactly it. He won't be exempt completely from job searches with JSA because he's signed the agreement. If he doesn't want to do the job searches he has no option but to claim UC, otherwise not doing the job searches he could be sanctioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.