ESA (CB), PIP. Partner wanting to work.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I really need some advice and am getting different answers so I'm quite confused. 

My partner claims ESA Contribution Based, and he is in the support group and my name is on his claim (he is the main claimant). He also gets PIP and IIB. He had an accident at work and lost some fingers and as a result he suffers PTSD, Generalised Anxiety and anger spurts. 

I claim Child Tax Credits for 2 of my children and Child Benefit. I do not claim carer's allowance. 

I am struggling money wise and would love to go back to work even if it's part time. Would my partners ESA (CB) be affected because my name is on his claim. Am I allowed to work so many hours without it affecting us? Is it just a case of taking my name off his claim?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi if your partner is getting ESA contribution based then this won't affect your earnings. It's only if it is income based then other income coming into the household is taken into account.   His PIP is extra money and is not taxable (there are a few exceptions though and the Govt is looking to change it). 

It might affect your child tax credits and any other benefits is housing benefit or council tax reduction. 

Your best bet is to ask the JCP.   I think as your name is on the claim they would talk to you alone.  Why don't you ring and ask them?  Also ask them if they can do an in work calculation to see what difference if any it would make to the claim,  and whether you would be better off working or not.  Ok?  x  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.