ESA FOR A NON DEPENDANT

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am married and am in the support group for esa. This is my claim but treated as a joint claim because I am married.

My wife has a daughter who turned 20 in December 12 I had my esa face to face on 14december as I was in WRAG group since 2013 then decision was made on 16 December and I have been placed in support group.

On the 12 December my wife's child tax credits stopped for her daughter, now my wife's daughter has disabilities (learning) and is in full time education at college. My wife is her appointee for dla. Is my wife able to make a claim for esa for her daughter even though I am in support group for esa income related for myself as a couple? And would this affect any esa that I claim for me and my wife.? I also get pip standard care and my wife gets carers allowance for her daughter (not for me). Also is my wife able to claim anything for herself? Strange that child tax credits stopped on 12 December then I had a esa face to face then put in support group. It's around 34 pound more than before in WRAG.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

December the 12th 2016 my wife's daughter turned 20 not 2012

• Posted

Hello,

You have a few questions to answer here and i'll do my best to help you. I've done a search on the net to answer your questions so here goes.

Firstly your wifes daughters child tax credit stopped when she reached 20 because child tax credits is no longer paid for those aged over 20. It's automatically stopped when they have their 20th birthday.

Your wife can not make a claim for ESA for her daughter but her daughter can make a claim for herself. Even though she's a full time student because she claims DLA this means she already has a limited capability for work. To be able to claim ESA however she'll need to have fit/sick notes from her GP. NO, it would not affect your ESA. 2 completely different claims. To be able to claim ESA she would need to ring them to start her claim off then see her GP for the sick/fit note.

Your wife is already on your ESA claim because you claim as couple, so no she wouldn't be able to claim anything herself. She already claims Carers Allowance for her daughter so wouldn't be able to claim that for you.

Child tax credits stopping for the daughter and your face to face have aren't relivant. As said above child tax credits stop for everyone once they reach their 20th birthday, if still in full time education. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Denise. One other thing. My wife's daughter does not use a phone and does not understand money. She has Di George syndrome. Ie acts and looks younger than she is. She will not phone jcp herself or even know what a esa is. Would my wife have to do it for her? My wife is already appointee for her dla claim.

• Posted

Yes your wife would be able to do that for her because she's her appointee.

• Posted

Thank you Denise. You have been helpful. My wife's daughter also has a statement for educational needs till age 25. Another thing you mentioned was sick notes. What would a gp write on sick note when she has had these problems from being a baby.?

• Posted

I can't answer that question, sorry. To be able to claim ESA though fit/sick notes are needed until she's put into one of the groups. Please make an appointment with her GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.