ESA ...have been refused, can I reapply in January?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I applied for ESA and was refused because I did not make national insurance payments for most of 2013-2014. Unfortunately I was so ill during that time that I didn't even bother applying for JSA. Since then I have been working as a teacher from Feb 2014 but had to leave April 2016 due to ill health. Have been awarded PIP but denied ESA... does anyone know if I can wait till January and reapply?.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't know for sure, but if you had a period in work, I'm surprised they won't award it. They will at least pay your Ni contribution until you're well enough to return to work. The only thing I can think of is they don't think you're ill enough to warrant ESA?

I was put in the support group for ESA, but don't get paid due to my lack of Ni contribution S while in extended maternity leave. I asked when I can reapply and they told me I'd have to go back to work before it could be reassessed as my situation wouldn't have changed (i.e. I still wouldn't have paid any contributions).

It's crap I'm entitled to ESA support group, but get NO money ??

Sorry i haven't got a good answer for you x

• Posted

I have at last spoken to DWP and they have told me that it is definitely due to lack of NI contributions in 2013/14. I did not want to go down the route of them paying my NI contributions so asked if they could quash the claim and I will reclaim in January, they agreed.

• Posted

I don't understand, what will be different in January?

• Posted

Tax year runs April to April, benefits year runs January to January.
    • Posted

Oh ok, thanks. I see now it's because you've done some work too x

• Posted

Oh yes...lol,  In 2013 I took a year out from teaching  to help my partner set up a business. I returned to teaching March 2014.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.