ESA (income related) VS pension credit... pros & cons?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good day... I have been claiming income-related ESA for a while due to a long term disability. Jobcentreplus has just contacted me to ask if I want to switch to pension credit in November. I gather PC pays more than ESA, but are there any advantages to opting to staying on ESA? I thought I'd ask, rather than jumping to any assumptions. Many thanks for any advice.

JD

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about the Income Based ESA, but would assume that they would pay the same.

I claimed Contribution Based ESA right up until my 65th birthday in 2013 along side a top up of Pension Credit. I could also have just claimed Pension Credit, but in doing so I felt that whilst still of working age (up to 65) I should continue with a working age benefit claim (ESA) Some would jump at the chance to avoid the ESA assessments and re-assessments and just claim Pension Credit but I felt that it was playing the system.

I could have claimed both Contribution and Income Based ESA as a top up as when I looked at the figures both paid out the same - (Pension Credit v ESA Contribution + Income Based)

• Posted

Hello Jim,

I'm sorry I've no idea, but I'm sure some of the lovely people on this site will be able to help.   

• Posted

Hi Jim

Pension Credit gives you a guaranteed income of £155.60pw. Therefore if your IR ESA is less than this amount you would be better off claiming PC.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Thanks. That was my initial assumption. I just wondered if there were any hidden caveats or not-so-obvious drawbacks of ceasing ESA and switching to PCs.

• Posted

if you need my opinion Jim Antony is spot on. income related esa is £102 a week. PC is £150. no brainier. I know because I was on esa. mums on PC. I joke with her saying I can't wait get her age.

• Posted

Okay - thank you! I have gone ahead and initiated my claim for PC. My ESA was about £125 pw and I gather my PC will be £155. So on the face of it, it looks like a no-brainer, as you said. Apart from the much-neede extra support, the main attraction for me will be no more occasional reassessment for work-capability. Just this alone will improve my peace of mind by at least 100%!

Cheers,

JD

• Posted

Jim not as far as I'm aware it's simply income support for the over 60's which happens to guarantee a better income

• Posted

like you say Jim peace of mind counts for a lot. as I say used be on esa but took me off it when discovered my £ 5 million in Caymans. ho hum. can't think why it upset them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.