Esa medical

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a esa medical in feb,and havnt herd anything about it until today,when got a letter about a work focussed interviews for emp;oyment and support claiments.ive got an interview in june.i rang them up and i had passed the medical,im receiving £4 less a week than i was getting on the old claim.I also passed a pip medical in december and get the high rate of pip.Do all esa claiments have to do these interviews because i suffer from ptsd i cant sit in interview rooms cause i have panic attacks.they no this and there still making me go for this interview,and also will this affect my pip.t

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand why you have ESA interviews when you have been qualified as disabled by PIP on high rate.. Is ESA aware that you get high rate PIP ?

• Posted

Yes I told them I was on higher rate of pip on the medical form and at the interview
  • Posted

It sounds like  ESA have not put you on Support Group where you don't have to  attend interviews.. I would ask why your still on the Work Focus Group on high rate PIP..

If they are still pushing for an interview request it is done in your home due to your PTSD..Your not on high rate for nothing..

• Posted

Hi it sounds like you have been put in the ESA group considered  capable of some work (WRAG).  From what you have said maybe you should be in the support group instead where you don't have to look for work?   Did you appeal against the decision?   x

• Posted

No I havnt appealed,I havnt even got the letter from them to say I've passed the medical yet,I rang them to find out when I got the letter about the appointment .
  • Posted

Hi Jeff

As pointed out already you have probably been put in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) where you are expected to attend work focused interviews and do a limited amount of job searching, otherwise you could be sanctioned.

WRAG is also paid at a lower rate than the Support Group and the Government has aspirations of taking £30pw away from those in WRAG. This probably explains why your money has dropped.

Believe it or not it is possible to be on enhanced rate of PIP and be placed in WRAG. There is nothing automatic between both benefit’s as it is possible to work and receive enhanced PIP. That said it is unusual.

Not sure what went wrong at your medical but something triggered you being placed in WRAG, probably the opinion of the assessor.

You should have received a notification letter telling you the decision. You would then have a month to request a mandatory reconsideration expressing you concerns at not being placed in the Support Group and providing medical evidence in support.

This is where you now need to concentrate your efforts. Find out why you were not informed of the decision and therefore denied the opportunity to appeal the decision. This is one of those occasions when approaching your MP could be beneficial.

• Posted

Hi Anthony I received the letter today confirming they have put me on wrag ,what is the best thing to do appeal it as I'm on the inhanced rate of pip ,I can't understand why they have put me on this ,
    • Posted

Hi Jeff

As stated you must contact the DWP and request a mandatory reconsideration within one month of the date at the top of the decision letter. You should then explain why you believe you should be in the Support Group not WRAG and provide any additional evidence such as a GP/Consultant or Physiotherapist letters. Also request a copy of the assessor's report and challenge any assumptions with the same medical evidence.

It is important to request the MR within the time limit. If you have to wait for medical evidence then explain that and send a copy as soon as possible.

Being on enhanced rate of PIP could be a double edged sword as they could use this most recent assessment to reassess you for PIP.

• Posted

Hi Anthony I only passed the pip medical in December and had the esa one in Feb .Pip have signed me of for four years,shall I still appeal and risk being reasesed by pip or just leave things as they are
    • Posted

Hi Jeff

I would appeal and send any medical evidence in support. You can make a reference to the PIP assessment if you like and the DWP might take the view that it is the ESA one which is incorrect.

However, there is a risk that they could take the opposite view. It depends on how strong your medical evidence is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.