ESA MEDICAL ASSESMENT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice please. I have been on pip and esa for 4 years now due to mental health problems and medical issues. On Monday around 5pm i got an unexpected call to say someone from esa was coming out to do a medical i never recieved any letters previous to this and got told I had to keep the appointment for 9am today which was a house visit. The lady was quiet intimidating asking me to do excercisies I couldn't do due to having fibromiyagla, carpol tunnel syndrome and 2 fractures at the base of my spine. I just wanted to no if anyone has ever had a phone call with 2 days notice rather than a letter and what have been the outcome of most esa assessments? The lady was also asking me maths questions and memory questions which I found unusual as I don't have memory problems I suffer from bipolar disorder and post traumatic stress disorder and also anxiety and panick attacks. Sorry about the 101 questions I'm still a bit shook up and nervous after the appointment as my pip assesment was nothing like this esa one. I feel like the lady has failed me without even waiting for the desisicion.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Does sound strange only giving 2 days did you ask for a home visit ?do wonder

DWP.

The memory and maths questions are normal everyone is asked them same with

The exercises I had trouble doing mine and I said I can't do anyone its too painful.

You have to be on the ball as they will trick you from the minute you walk in the door .

• Posted

My esa assessment went really well. The doctor read all the documents I had taken which they copied. He asked me to Remember some things for later. But no exercises due to the surgery I had just had. He said because I had MS he wasn't asking anything about my accident. As the MS would progress and that was good enough for him. My ESA stayed the same and I'm still in support group. My pip assessment was horrendous hence my appeal. Good luck

Mark

• Posted

I'm not being funny but why do you think they will trick you, if you are 'ill and incapable of carrying out certain tasks then you can't do it, they have to ask you to do these things to be able to assess you correctly, I was assessed at home and my assessor was good, I didn't at any point feel like she was trying to trick me, I can't walk so its not a point of being careful it was a case of just being honest.

• Posted

Just because you were lucky enough to get a good assessor soe people have not been as lucky ! It is a proven fact that the goverment are trying to get as many people they can off disability benifits. That is why there has been so many stories in the press about the dispicable way they have been treated during their assessements. A lot of people have had assessors that have blatently lied and yes they do try and trick you so it has nothing to do if you have nothing to hide.
    • Posted

They do sometimes trick people in the way the ask the same question in different ways. The reason they do this...is to try to trick you to see if your answer would be the same. I was lucky with my ESA assessment too and the assessor was very nice. My ESA review last year was a paper based decision so no assessment needed thankfully.

Unfortunately not everyone is lucky enough to have a nice assessor, there's some bad stories out there. Some assesors can be really horrible. They watch you from the minute they see you to the minute the leave. It's not just a case of being honest i'm sure there's plenty of people who are honest when they have these assessments. It's about proving that you fit those descriptors.

• Posted

Iv not got anything at all to hide I have my medical and hospital notes etc. I was asking as with my PIP I had to ask for a home visit and had plenty notice of the appointment. With this one I wasn't aware of it and thought it was a bit strange that they didn't send me any letters before hand and called the house to give me just over a days notice of the appointment! Anyone that's had medicals will no that you have to request a home visit all I was asking was if anyone had similar experience. I think your comment was a bit rude this group is for support and advice not for someone to assume I'm lying because I asked a question. I was honest and the reason I was asking was because a few times the lady went to write down a totally different answer to what I had says to which I had to correct her. I have nothing to hide and I don't think anyone on here does. Why would we put ourselves through all the stress and worry if it was all lies? I have an illness and can't work due to this the same as everyone else on the page. If I had anything to hide I would've refused the appointment and asked them to reschedule!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Marshall. I found it very unusual that they called instead of sending a letter and I had to correct the doctor a few times when I had been asked a question like can you go out alone and I had says no a few different times and fortunately my carer had noticed they had wrote down I was independent enough to go out alone! It was totally different from my PIP medical the assesoer was really nice and made me feel at ease but this one was just really intimidating. I was getting asked the same questions but In around about way as if they were expecting me to slip up with something. It's just a waiting game now. I hope everything went well with your medical.

• Posted

Hi Denise thank you. That's the way I was made to feel with my ESA medical. Thankfully I was lucky enough to have a really nice medical examiner for my PIP last year she made me feel at ease and comfortable. I passed my PIP as it was obvious I was in agony and all my health problems are chronic. It was just a bit of a shock that the 2 medical people were totally different. Obviously you can't be lucky enough to get someone nice all the time and Iv heard a lot of horror story's about people's medical until I experienced it myself. Only time will tell if they told the truth on the report or lied. I feel so sorry for people who have to go through that though it wasn't a nice experience at all. I really hope everything goes well for you with your medical. Best of luck xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear that mark. I was lucky enough to have a really nice and friendly doctor for my PIP medical and passed the medical due to my hospital reports and the examiner was able to see the pain I was in. But this doctor was totally different I knew by the way they asked the same questions in around about way that they were expecting me to trip up and say something different. I was just honest and been myself, it's just a waiting game now. I really hope things go well for you with your PIP there's nothing worse than getting made to feel like your lying about living in agony every day. As if anyone would put themselves through all this hassle for nothing! Best of luck to you I really hope you get good news about your PIP

• Posted

When being assessed for ESA it's to see if you're able to do any type of work, even a sitting down job. The criteria for PIP and ESA are completely different because people claim PIP and work, even tho the questions would be fairly similar.

I'm done with all my assessments, at least for now. I'm in the Support Group for ESA and have been for over 4 years. I claim Standard Daily living PIP and Enhanced Mobility. Review isn't until 2019 so i'll relax until then.

Please do let us know the outcome for your ESA, hopefully for you it's in your favour. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you. I will let everyone know when the hearing is. And how it goes.i hope everything goes in your favour with ESA.

Mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.