Esa ni contribution

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was on esa for a while then I moved in with my partner who works full time I of course notified the esa about 2 days before I moved in with him and told them I will be moving in within the next 2 days and he works full time to which I was told my payments would stop. Anyway I still attend assessments as they still pay my ni contributions but we have since realised that we can not cope on just his wage. Although I know I'm to poorly to work and they even said that at my last assessment I also know that going back to work is my only option I am just not sure where to start do I just ask esa to stop paying my ni contributions or can I just look for work regardless of this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think if you are not being paid anything other than getting you NI contributions paid you can start to look and tell them when you have found something, it all depends on how many years you have contributed, if you have enough stamps surely you can sign on and get unemployment payments, it also depends on the medical problem you have
  • Posted

Hi you can look for work no matter whether you are on any benefits or not.  Obviously if you find work you would need to tell the DWP as you will be expected to pay your own NI contributions then. 

If you don't find work though it might be better to remain on ESA even if you are not entitled to receive any money.  This is because you would be seen as having an 'underlying' entitlement to it and could open the way for other benefits instead.   

Have you thought of applying for PIP instead?  This would give you more income and it is not usually taxable.   x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.