ESA PAYMENT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i get £125.10 a week for the support group i have applied for the severe disablement of £68 a week if i get it will it be on top of the £125.10 or will they take money off it and how much will i get each week

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Nice try Helen but it is one or the other. PIP and Income Support are the only 2 benefits which are paid on top of any other benefit.
    • Posted

Not sure what you mean here but SDP is paid on top of ESA if the other requirments are met.
    • Posted

The benefit Helen says she has applied for Severe Disablement was phased out some years ago and replaced with ESA. SDP is around £63pw not £68pw but if my memory is right I think Severe Disablement was around £68pw when it was phased out.

I might be wrong we will have to wait for Helen to clarify.

• Posted

We get pip enchanced and we get the sever disability.so if you get pip enhanced for daily you should get it .
  • Posted

Hi Helen 

as long as you live alone with no non-dependents and nobody claims carers allowance for you then you will get it.

• Posted

Yes it's paid on top of your ESA if you meet the other criteria.

• Posted

Severe Disability Premium is paid on top of ESA if you live alone no-one is in receipt of carer allowance for you and you receive either standard or enhanced PIP. The OP has stated she has applied for Severe Disablement which is a completely different benefit and was phased out when ESA was introduced in 2008.

Also the OP makes no mention of being in receipt of PIP.

• Posted

yes i know what it is as i recieve it myself, thanks. It seemed fairly obvious to me what helen was talking about that's why i said it's paid on top of your ESA if you meet the other criteria.

• Posted

It wasn't fairly obvious as Helen referred to another benefit 'Severe Disablement' and made no reference to being in receipt of PIP.

• Posted

Hi sorry yes i get enhanced rate mobility standard rate daily living and i have just been put in support group ESA but someone told me i could appy for severe disability from ESA but if they take it back off your support group money then its not worth applying for it what i wanted to know if the severe disability of £68 is on top of the £125 i already get from ESA

• Posted

As stated if you qualify for SDP then the money is paid on top of your ESA providing you have no other income (SDP is means tested but PIP doesn't count) and you don't have savings over £6000.

If you have some income e.g. occupational pension then the amount you receive is deducted £1 for £1. If you have savings over £6000 then there is a £1 deduction for every £250 over that threshold until you reach £16000 savings. At that point SDP and any other Income Support payments would stop.

However your savings wouldn't affect the £125.10 nor the PIP. Any occupational pension which is over £85pw would affect the £125.10 ESA payment but not the PIP.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Please read my post at the bottom of this topic/thread. I've listed everything that the DWP told me when I asked about SDP on top of ESA.

The way I looked at it was I would need to fill in the new ESA form from Contribution-based ESA to Income-based ESA. This in my case would have also triggered my DLA to PIP entitlement off as well.

My wife would have lost her Carers Allowance, because youu cannot apply for SDP on top of ESA, if anyone is claiming Carers Allowance for you.

At the end of it all, I would have been better off by about £14.60 a week, and to be honest I thought it was a pointless exercise.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I went through this with a guy at DWP, and this is what I was told:

I am on Contribution-Based ESA in the Support Group

I also receive DLA - both Mobility and Care at the High Rates.

My wife claims Carers Allowance @ around £62 per week.

For me to obtain the severe disability premium on top of my ESA I would lose and need to change certain benefits.

The changes would be as follows:

My Contribution-based ESA in the Support Group would need to be changed to Income-Related ESA in the Support Group. You cannot claim severe disability premium if your ESA is claimed under Contribution-Based.

My wife would lose Carers Allowance @ £62 a week approx.

After all the aforementioned was done then I could put a claim in for severe disability premium which would work out about £14 more per week.

To me I did not think going through all that I decided not to change my ESA Claim or lose my Wife's Carers Allowance.

Basically, at the end of it all, you gain about £14 per week! Some people may think I was stupid to turn it down, but with me it would have started the DLA - PIP change-over and my ESA to be looked at again.

That is what I was told by the DWP, whom also sent me the ESA change-over form, which I never returned.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les

The way it was explained to me is your £125.10 ESA remains contribution based the SDP is paid as an ESA Income Support top up.

Also if you live together (I'm assuming you don't because of the way you have worded the response) then your partner/carer can claim a Carer Premium as part of your joint ESA claim again this is paid as an ESA IS top up.

As for your circumstances as explained above, SDP is basically carer allowance which is paid directly to the Disabled Person. Generally this money is used to pay a 'carer'. So if you went for the direct route in theory you could pay your ex-wife an extra £14pw.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.