ESA - severe disability premium query ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

wondering if if anyone can help... I received a letter in the post regarding servers disability premium. I was still the 7th July on standard pip. I live alone with my 5 year since moving out my parents house in October. Nobody claims careers allowance for me. So I believe I'm entitled to this and not realised I am and lost out of money I'm due from October to now. 

Does anyone know if I will get this backdated that far and shall I write an additional letter explains this when sending back the form? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi anni,

You are only entitled to severe disability premium if you get the standard or enhanced rate of daily living component is that what you get?

• Posted

Hi Kerry I was on standard daily living which stopped on 7th July but an appealing. But I guess I'm entitled to this money up to this date ?

• Posted

Yes you would have been entitled to it until it stopped, and if you win the appeal you will then be entitled again
  • Posted

Hi Anni,

yes, if you get standard PIP and live on your own you are entitled to SDA, write to them and tell them the situation and they should backdate you from when you began PIP and lived alone.

hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you, I have wrote a covering letter explaining this and hoping and praying this will be backdated. Just lost my pip and this money would be a god send!

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

Could you tell me what SDA is, I get pip enhanced and ESA is that the same? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Trisha

SDA is severe disability allowance, if you get PIP at either standard or enhanced rate and live alone you are entitled to it (I think nobody can be claiming carers allowance for you either) if you think you are entitled then phone the ESA people as I think they are the ones who pay it. It takes a while for them to process but you should get it backdated as well.

• Posted

Boqer is right .. If you live in your household alone with no one aged think it's 16 or 18 If in full time education and get standard or enhanced pip daily living and are on income related ESA and no one is claiming carers allowance. They seem to not tell anyone about this i only heard of this today two years after pip award.  so ring and request a form if you think you could be entitled it's quite a lot of top. X 

• Posted

My 30 year old son lives with me, works full time and doesn't claim careers allowance so that would probably rule me out then, I do get enhanced living allowance and standard mobility.

• Posted

You are right, you wouldn't get it, it's only for people who live alone, it seems crazy but there we go.

• Posted

Thank you, seems crazy because he is hardly home, but yet another rule to stop you getting more help lol 🙄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.