ESA & Sick notes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning all,

I started claiming ESA last month when my SSP ceased and I have just realised that my sick note expired yesterday. I haven't received anything from DWP asking for an up to date one so I was wondering if they still need to be supplied during the assessment period?

Ery

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need sick notes while your in your assesment period but once you have had the medical and recieved the letter you dont need them anymore, in my case i had a very quick medical and i dont need to send them in anymore.

Give them a ring just to make sure

• Posted

Thanks Les, 

Thought that was the case, but I'm sure last time I received ESA they routinly asked  for it until my medical. I will give them a call to check.

I thought I would have had a quick medical as I received the ESA50 before the letter confirming my entitlement, but still waiting. Oh well

Thanks again

• Posted

I just sent them in when they were due, I actually wasnt told not to send them in after the medical but it says in the booklet, what to me is strange is they talk about the number of weeks your on the low rate but dont explain what happens if you have the medical early as i did.

I did find out that even though i have had the medical and have had the letter that i still dont go on to the higher rate until after the period has passed.

• Posted

hi can anyone help me iv been on sick from work for past 8 weeks work was paying my statutory sick pay and I was sending sick notes to the esa department iv now lost my job and don't need to be providing work with these will I still need to get them to send to esa?
    • Posted

Hi, yes you will still need to send them to ESA. You should call the DWP also and tell them that yu have lost your job
    • Posted

thanks yes I informed them of this last week I'm not recievin any payments they just pay my ni credits as I didn't pay anuff
    • Posted

They may start paying you Income Based now you have stopped working (but depends on your circs)
  • Posted

Yes while your in the assesment phase (until you have your medical and recieved the letter that gives the decission) you need to send them into esa, you also need to tell them you have lost your job as its a change of circumstance.

I am in the opposite position, i have been off sick almost a year and still need to send sick notes into my employer until they make their decission on my job but dont need to send esa the sick note as i have had the medical and recieved a letter.

• Posted

I'm sending them to both lol, luckily my employer accepts scanned and emailed ones
  • Posted

iv just had pip assesment if I pass that will I need a esa assesment still?
    • Posted

I never had a pip as i get ESA, after your work capability assesment they will send you a letter it should say on it that you dont need to send in sick notes in, I had to ring as my letter never mentioned it but you get a booklet ESA40 and on page 8 it says "if you are entitled to employment support allowance" you will not have to send us any more fit notes.

I have found out that not everyones letters state this but when you ring they point you to the paragraph above.

• Posted

do u know how long u wait for the assesment iv been sending sick notes in for last few weeks now
    • Posted

I had mine after about 8 weeks but it can take much longer, the first 13 weeks are your assesment phase, how long is it since you claimed?
    • Posted

I'm still waiting for mine and I've been claiming ESA since beginning of Jan
    • Posted

everyone seems to be different, i think it depends how busy they are, if you pass the medical you will have the extra money backdated to week 13.

I suppose mine was pretty straightforward as i only claimed contributary and work sent me a letter advising me to claim esa when ssp finished.

I will be almost retired when it finishes, even then the person i met at the work focused interview (i was put in a work related group) said that i shouldnt have been sent to the interview as i was so close to getting retirement pension. If you are worried give them a ring they were to me very helpful.

• Posted

If its stressing you out give them a ring, although i mention about medical assesments i'm told not everyone is asked to go for one as they sometimes look at your circumstances and put you straight into a support group.

Depends on your disability.

5 weeks isnt very long though.

• Posted

When I had to claim ESA previously it was about 6 moonths  before I had my assessment, when I claimed PIP I had my assessment within a month. Like you say, depends on how busy they are. My hope is that I can get back to work before I have to go to f2f - although not feeling hopeful 
    • Posted

OK thanks les il just hold out wait for a letter I have fibromyalgia and spinal restrictions iv sent all medical evidence with my forms and sent sicknotes off
    • Posted

No problem, the worst time is the wait, I wish you very best wishes, pain is enough without all this.

• Posted

well I wanted Togo back to work but had a foal meeting last week and they r not willing to adjust my role so they said they would give me redundancy on medical grounds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.