ESA support group, am I allowed part time work

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am in the support group since nobember 2019. However i feel i have to do some part time work to supllement the esa i get due to finances being tight. Would taking up a 16 hour a week job be used against me and do i get any added benefits on fop if i do like tax credits?

thanks guys

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

Permitted work is possible BUT it must be less than 16 hours per week and earning no more than £131.50 per week. If you work and earn more than this then you won't be entitled to ESA for those weeks and your ESA claim will end. This means you won't be able to work 16 hours a week.

You need to get permission to do the work before you start and you need to fill out the PW1 form by contacting DWP.

Do be aware also that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you once it's made. This will also apply to PIP/DLA if you're claiming it, which i think you are.

You can't claim tax credits as well as ESA and permitted work. If you decide to end your ESA claim then you can't start a new claim for tax credits unless you're claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit. You will have to claim Universal Credit.

• Posted

Thanks Denise

So basically its not worth the risk as it might affect my claim in ways i cant predict

I appreciate your advice as always

Cheers

• Posted

No problem. That's not for me to advise because i have no idea what you're claiming ESA for and what sort of work you're thinking of doing. People do permitted work all the time and it doesn't affect them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.