Esa support group and pip

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm wanting some advice and I've been reading a lot on here and I'm quite confused so thought I'd post to see what different answers I get

I've recently just had a medical for my esa and had a letter saying id been put in the support group I claim joint with my boyfriend for esa aswell

I've then recently had to phone pip to explain that my conditions had changed and they said I had to apply for pip I've phoned up to start my claim and am waiting for a form to fill out what I'm wanting to know is can me and my boyfriend both claim pip as well as esa as the esa is a joint claim but we would be claiming pip separate not together id like to know what people have to say to this as it would really help I find myself at the moment getting very confused and stressed and would just like some answers to this question thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Casie,

I'm no expert and Denise who is very knowledgeable in this respect will hopefully be able to advise you more fully.  However if either of you were eligible for PIP, then they would have to be separate claims.  I see that you are waiting for your forms, so your boyfriend would need to ring the DWP to start a claim in his name. 

• Posted

Hi Casie,

You say you rang PIP to say your condition has changed does this mean you already claim PIP or is this a new claim?

As for both of you claiming PIP if your boyfriend has difficulty in daily life with washing/dressing/bathing/making budgeting decisions/ going out alone and /or mobility then yes he could also put in a claim. If he doesnt then no he wouldn't be able to claim. PIP is all about how your condition/s affect you daily. If you google PIP descriptors then a list of all those descriptors and points that could be scored will come up. You'll need evidence to support a claim and to prove that all or any of those descriptors apply to you. You need at least 8 points in daily living and /or mobility for a Standard award and at least 12 points for Enhanced.

I would strongly advice that you get help with filling out those forms when they arrive because they're very complex. CAB or your local disability advice centre can help. You have 1 month from the date on the letter to return those forms along with all your evidence. Most people are asked to attend a face 2 face assessment. If a home visit is needed then you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you need this. Being in the Support Group for ESA does not guarantee you an award for PIP. Hope this helps.

• Posted

hi denise I just asking if I retire from my job due to ill health would I be able to get esa im getting ssp at the minute it finishes on December 18th. I retire on march 6th next year my occupational health wants me to go back to work I haven't got the energy that I used to have I told her this and as I work on checkouts at Asda she said ask for help when I have so.etching heavy to move which would be an impossibility as it would cause a massive queue

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I remember you asking this not long ago. You can not claim ESA as well as SSP. You have to wait until your SSP has finished and then put a claim in for ESA. When you SSP has ended you'll need to get a SSP1 form from your employer to be able to claim ESA. If you've then paid enough of National Insurance in the last 2 years you maybe entitled to Contribution Based ESA if not depending on your circustances you maybe able to claim Income Related ESA. You can't do anything Janet until your SSP has ended, sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.