ESA Support group & PIP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

Looking for help if anyone has any please.

I've recently been put into the support group after a long long 2 year wait with mistakes from DWP. I had my home assessment 5 weeks ago.

I never knew until someone mentioned today that I may be eligible for PIP too. Is this correct and will my initial medical be used for that. Dwp are sending me a form today

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa19408,

Not that easy or straightforward. PIP is treat as a different form of benefit and is in no way connected with other dwp benefits. You have to start a claim for pip by phone and they will then decide if you meet their criteria and if so send out a form/s to be read very carefully, not rushed get help from cab if needed . Several people on this site have apparently been contacted by the dwp asking about other dwp benefits that you may be getting, but officially for the moment pip is a completely separate benefit. You must still query about it though, because you may be eligible for it, good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for that.

It's strange as Dwp are the people sending the form out to me today

• Posted

Hi Lisa

you will have to have a different assessment for Pip unless they decide you don't need one. 

My my way of thinking is that if you don't try you will never know especially if you are not claiming DLA , if so you would have nothing to lose by claiming PIP and maybe something to gain.

good luck N

• Posted

Good luck with your PIP claim, however try not to get your hopes up too much as the DWP are trying to cut down the number of people claiming it.  I have also heard of lots of people who are in the ESA support group who were turned down for PIP.  It can be a lengthy and stressful process too! 
    • Posted

Oh really well I suppose it's worth a try but if it's going to be stressful I think I'll let it go!!!

Thank u so much x

• Posted

You have started the process already by phoning so wait until you get the form.  You will have 4 weeks from the send date to return it to them.  There is no harm in trying - just don't expect it to be easy and straightforward.  Good luck.

• Posted

It took two years for my esa to be sorted through mistakes by dwp so I'll probably be used to it lol!!

Thanks once again really appreciate response

• Posted

if you go to the benefits and work website - they have a pip test you can take to see if you qualify for it or not - it is a really useful too.  Just google 'benefits and work' (cannot post links on here) - click on PIP and then Take the PIP test xxx

• Posted

it will only take you a few minutes to complete (multiple choice questions - and you get a result straight away!
    • Posted

Yeah it worked for me! Went from DLA - HRM & MRC to 0 points PIP!! 

• Posted

Oh really that's helpful I'll try it now x

• Posted

I know you scored 0 for PIP Les after being on other benefits for years.  That is why I told Lisa not to get her hopes up as so many people don't receive a penny!

• Posted

You've been helpful and it works for some I'm sure. I'm trying anyway x

• Posted

Hi TCake - I do understand what you mean - it's just me tonight being totally miffed off with life in general and nothing in particular!!

• Posted

I think it the heat as well - hate it and I have felt tired and grumpy all day too.  Les, I really feel for you as I have been following your posts - it must be so frustrating for you but I admire your determination and strength to keep going.  People at your age, and with dsabilities especially, should be able to live a decent and supported life but the Government has turned it's back on people like you cry 

• Posted

decent and supported life??? I wish

All I have at the moment areshort and unpredictable periods when I feel that I just need to do something to hit back at the system.

Some thoughts, if I carried them out, would see me spending the rest of my life behind bars!! Others well, if I can just get under their skin (DWP) for a few hours and niggle them it would feel like a major battle won.

All I have left with is the ability to needle them which gives me great satisfaction. 

I don't want to even think of the amount of money that they have not paid me over the past 20 years which they actually agree is my entitlement but the 'system would not allow it'. 

You have no idea of how many doors that have been slammed in my face by the DWP. 

And as I dared challenge the system and the DWP's shortcomings they made my life a misery with so many reviews, face to face assessments and appeals over the past 20 years (DLA, ESA, IIDB) They used every regulation they could find to either shut me up or close me down. 

I remember one lady from AgeUK telling me that looking at my history with the DWP back in 2011 it looked to her that I had seriously annoyed someone in the DWP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.