ESA50

Posted , 3 users are following.

in September had Atlos assessment for PIP l have been awarded enhanced rate until 2020 but no help for mobility. ESA also say as from November l will receive severely disabled extra.  but now December l receive a form ESA50 saying l have to complete why it is asking same medical question as that l have just asked 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

ESA and PIP are completely different benefits. ESA is for those who are unable to work. It looks like you're due for a reassessment for ESA. They can review you at anytime for this. I got sent one of those in August the same time as my PIP review. You'll need to fill this in and return it by the date on the letter otherwise your ESA will stop. CAB are very good at helping with those forms. They helped me. You'll also need some evidence to support your claim which you should send in with that form. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Denise for your reply after being assessed for PIP my ESA was altered giving me additional payment for severely disabled so l dont understand why l am having to compplete ESA50 as it has already taken my medical details in to account l thought that it covered it also

• Posted

Severe Disability premium is paid on top of your ESA because you're now claiming Daily living part of PIP. It doesn't mean you won't ever be re-assessed for ESA. I think the maxium amount of years before another assessment for this is about 3 years. Some as a lot sooner. As i said before having recently been awarded PIP won't have any affect on your ESA claim because they're 2 totally different benefits with totally different criteria. People claim PIP and work but those claiming ESA can't work because of their health. You will still need to fill the ESA50 form out, gather supporting evidence and return them within the time stated on the letter, if you don't they'll stop your ESA including your disability premium. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you again for reply l understand you now but seems crazy as their medical confirms what they are asking again and just having to apply twice instead on once thank you
    • Posted

Hi Lindsey

I know it seems daft and 90% of the time there really shouldn't be a need for another assessment.

However, the DWP answer this question by stating that a PIP assessment looks at how well you can look after yourself and your mobility, while an ESA assessment looks at your ability to do a job.

There are people who claim PIP and are in full time jobs so on that bases the DWP seem to have a point.

That said there is a plan to stop reassessing the most physically disabled for ESA so hopefully this will be your last one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.