Esa50 form

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all

ok so im filling in the ESA 50 form for my mom and i have been able to awnser all question apart from one the first one on how far she can walk before needing to stop , the choices are 50 meters, 100 meters , 200 meters or it varies.

Denise has been giving me great advice and i thought i knew what to put as mom can walk about 50 meters before she needs to stop due to fatigue and pain but i was doing more research and i found a website which has now confused me it states that

"Bear in mind that a person who can easily manage around the house and garden is unlikely to be limited to mobility of less than 200 metres; a person who can mobilise around a shopping centre/supermarket is unlikely to be limited to mobility of less than 800 metres although consideration must be given to the speed of walking, stops and pauses etc. Someone who is able only to move around within their home is unlikely to manage 200m."

mom can walk round a shop but once we have finished she has to sit down so this worried me as im now unsure again of what to pick? so im confused as i thought the question was how far she can walk before needing to stop not if she can walk round her home or shop?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi sarah. Suppose there is a mathematical solution to this. (I"m no Einstien mind you) but i would look at it like this, bearing in mind "repeatedly and reliably" Lets say 3 attempts at walking 50m The first attempt 50m covered, second attempt 40m covered and 3rd attempt 20m covered. That is 110m covered in all. 110m divided by 3 = 36.6m Of coarse there is the time taken as well to throw in the mix. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

I thought you told me that you've now sent the form back? I'm confused now.

The amount of time it takes a person to walk the distance is not taken into consideration for ESA, this is for PIP. I did advise you of this a couple of days ago.

I spent a lot of time a couple of days ago advising you, so i'm unsure why you're now confused. The more you read the more confused you'll become.

I also thought you said that you'd decided to go for the descriptor, transferring from one seated position to another. You really have to decide which one applies here because if you don't you'll get yourself into all sorts of bother and confusion.

The walking distance is how far you can walk before you need to stop and yes this includes walking around your home, garden and a supermarket. They also take into consideration reliability, pain and discomfort.

There's also the wheelchair for those that are unable to walk that distance, they will take this into consideration this too. So if a person can't walk that distance the next thing they'll look at is their ability to self propel a wheelchair and that's 100% a fact. So you not only have to prove she can't walk that distance but also prove she can't self propel.

My question is did you send the form back yesterday or not?

• Posted

hi

yes i did send it on Friday like i said , i made this thread before i sent it but it said needs to be approved so it only gone on yesterday. but i have already filled in the form and sent it off.

i got confused again Denise after reading further online. so as i was unsure again what it meant mom just said put it varies and explain what im like outside , she also told me she not in the support group for mobilising shes in the support group because she cant transfer from one seated position to another without help from a person and because she cant feed herself those are the two descriptors the HCP put in his report for why she should be in the support group.

i forgot to put about wheelchair but mom told me not to worry he\she will see in person i can even move myself from one chair to another sat right next to it and i cant feed myself so should know i cant self propel and we can must say everything again at the Face to face.

• Posted

You seem to have concentrated on the mobilising descriptor rather than the transferring from one seated position to another.

You really do need to be very careful filling out those forms, that you do put all the information. If you concentrated on the mobilising when you should have concentrated on a different descriptor then you could be causing all sorts of problems. These are all reasons why i did advise not to rush filling in the form. Too late now for all this as the form has already been sent.

• Posted

i did not concentrate on the Mobilising descriptor i just kept getting confused from what i read online.

i did focus on why she is in the support group and gave as much info as i could on why she cant move from one seated position to another without assistance from another person and explained about that she cannot lean on anything to help her get up such as chair arms, her walking stick due to severe shooting pain that goes through her arms, hands and wrists and explained about her fatigue.

i also gave as much info for part 3 on eating and drinking.

• Posted

After i spent hours advising you on the mobilising part because that was what you kept asking me about....my mind boggles, sorry.

• Posted

the whole process of forms and face to faces i think is confusing and unnecessary when people like you and mom already have a lot of stress due to ill health. its a shame they dont just get rid of Pip and esa assessment and just let your GP retire you, that would be easier for us and would save a lot of time and money as people wont need to appeal and go to court.

the reason i kept asking you for hours on that one question is because it was the only one that confused me i understood the rest of the questions and knew what to say.

• Posted

Letting a GP make the decisions on these benefit claims will never happen. A GP knows very little, if anything at all about PIP and ESA. Yes, i agree it's a nice thought but purely just a dream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.