Escitalopram 5mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

So last night I decided to start taking my escitalopram. I had recently stopped taking fluoxetine for 7 days and had been taking domperidone to help with nausea for that time.

I felt great being off fluoxetine, the domperidone boosted my appetite.

But yesterday I started to feel queasy, anxiety started rushing through my head.

My doctor had prescribed me escitalopram as the next antidepressant to try. So naturally I thought it was time to start taking it.

This morning I woke up feeling not too bad, some slight nausea. But my head was swirling, I felt lightheaded and ended up vomiting. I don't seem to have any anxiety, steady heart beat too.

I'm trying to remain hopeful, my doctor told me escitalopram is known to have fewer side effects and is pretty fast acting. Hopefully I'll feel better soon.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It takes about 4-6 weeks to start working.
    • Posted

It's strange, i've heard that for some people it's started working in 2 weeks, with only some side effects for the first couple of days. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, this will be the third antidepressant i've tried in the space of two months.

• Posted

Robert, don't be discouraged. It took me two months to wean off Effexor XR 75mg. It wasn't hard, but not so easy....dizziness. Then I started generic Lexapro 10mg about two months ago, and increased the dose to 20 mg 3 weeks ago under Dr supervision. After coming to this site, I found it that one of the side effects was increased anxiety but that it would eventually disappear. For me, I've had it every day, and staying asleep after 4 a.m. has been a problem. That's the bad news! The good news is I'm feeling better slowly. And I'm very encouraged. The daily anxiety ebbs and flows and I've had a few days this past week where I slept til 6 a.m. For me, this drug hasn't worked as fast as I had hoped, mainly because I think my brain was a tossed salad coming off that Effexor. But I'm progressing. This week is almost 4 weeks and I'm seeing signs of being normal again. So Robert, if any of these side effects come upon you, ride it out. Give it a full 6 weeks. Exercise, believe me, really helps if they do surface. Be patient. And God bless you!

• Posted

Maybe it will be faster acting for you. Everyone reacts to pills differently. My doctor made me give it at least 4 weeks because I wanted to quit a couple of times.
    • Posted

Hiya Tammy,

So far things aren't as bad as they were when I was on other antidepressants. Sleeping is a bit of an issue for me. I get roughly 5-6 hours of sleep, I get morning nausea and a slight bit of anxiety in the morning. It goes away after a while or if i'm sick. But I don't seem to have racing thoughts or anxiety attacks during the day. My appetite seems normal too. And i'm not having any heart palpitations. So hopefully this is the right one. I'm trying to fight a bad cold/flu at the moment, so i'm putting the nausea down to that.

• Posted

I had the same problems as you for several weeks with the sleeping. I am able to sleep the full night most of the time now.
    • Posted

Oh the dang flu! My husband is a PCP and says the flu is really bad right now. He himself is getting over a bad cold and cough. So please, take care of yourself and don't let yourself get dehydrated!!!

I hope this medication IS the right one for you. Like many of us have said, it takes a few weeks. Sleeping is so important, if you can, find a way to decompress and do some breathing exercises. There are a lot of apps you can use. I subscribed to "calm". Really helped me at bedtime. And keeping a routine helped.... Something consistent every evening calmed me.

Well, I really do hope and pray you get over the flu fast and this medicine is the one! Peace!

• Posted

Hi Kim, that's one of the toughest part of adjusting to this medicine.... And the morning anxiety. I hope you're past all of that! The past few nights have been so good. I slept til 645 today!! I feel good today so far. But I fully expect things to go haywire at some point, it's just the nature of this medicine until it's fully in our system. But it's the progress that I've made so far that makes believe I'll be able to handle it. Take care!

• Posted

I agree. I am calm most days and I have stopped googling every little thing and worrying about every little thing. Although my health is a concern I am able to enjoy some things again and that feels amazing. This site has really helped me as well. So many amazing, caring people really trying to help each other. It's wonderful!

• Posted

Robert.. I just started 2.5 mg of lexapro 2x a day about 2 weeks ago.. I had bumped it up to 3x a day but had to go back down to 2x a day.. I'm doing ok.. still have some aniexty of the pm but I really think with what is said on this site it is the normal.. just stick with it.. u didn't say how much u were taking.. u may want to ask your pup to knock it down a few Mg. So your body can adjust slow to the meds.. I'm very sensitive to meds so I'm having to go really slow ..just hang in there .. keep us posted.. Take Care

• Posted

Hi Nickie,

I'm on 5mg of Escitalopram, I've been taking it for two days so far. I'm not really having any anxiety symptoms, just the morning sickness and small moments of worry. It's been frustrating because this is the third antidepressant I've tried in the space of two months. First one was Sertraline 50mg, next one was Fluoxetine 20mg, and now it's Escitalopram. I just really want to get back to normal. My doctor told me Escitalopram has fewer side effects, and a lot of people have told me how fast acting it is.

• Posted

Yes that's what I've read also not many side effects.. mine is gagging and tightness in my throat.. but overall some better.. but my aniexty was over the top.. worry worry worry... bad negative self talk and feeling nothing to look forward to .. I'm trying to change self talk to more positive .. I'm a very positive person when it comes to other people and my family but when it comes to me ... I'm so hard on myself.. Hope each hour gets easier and much better for you... keep us posted.. 

• Posted

Thanks Nickie,

I called my pharmacist earlier on for some medical advice, I told her about the nausea and vomiting and she said it's a pretty common side effect to have. She said it should last a week or so (hopefully just a week) but she also said to talk to my GP and see if they can offer anything. So come Monday I'll see what my doctor can offer.

Being positive to myself is a problem for me too, I can comfort and support anyone else, but with me it never seems to go through. I keep telling myself I'll get through this though, I've fought tougher battles than this before.  

• Posted

I feel your pain... I find it amazing how hard Good People can b on themselves.. probably why we suffer so much with aniexty and panic.. because we try a please everyone and b there for everyone and worry about everyone.. one day we need to just say ... Enough Already...please keep us posted as to how u r doing... Take Care and Remember This Is A Journey .. Not A  50Yard Dash..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.