Escitalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can it take longer than 2 weeks to help with horrible anxiety on Escitalopram. I don’t have many bad side effects. I am on day 16 on 10mgs. Just wanting this anxiety to ease.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it can :-).  It can take up to 6-8 weeks to get the full effect in your blood stream. Some people report it taking even longer than that, closer to 12 weeks.

• Posted

I'm only on the start of week 3 on 5 mg; which I don't think is an effective dose for me. It's been helping a bit (it seemed to kick in more starting a few days ago), but I'll have to move up to 10 mg soon. We leave for vacation on Sunday; hence why I've put off moving up until we get home again :-).

?Once I'm on 10 mg, I plan on staying on that dose for at least 12 weeks, and then, if necessary, I'll move up to 15 mg. I'm hoping the 10 is enough!

• Posted

Of course it takes more than 2 weeks 

And you are lucky you don’t have bad side effects 

Generally is 6-8 weeks 

For me it was always longer ! 

Be patience! Have faith ! 

It’s working ! 

• Posted

Thanks Fay. Did you take anything at first to help the anxiety till it kicked in.
    • Posted

Of course and I am still taking it because now I am on week 9 and not fully relieved. So I take klonopin. 

Without it my anxiety would totally drive me crazy . 

Also certain days of my cycle (PMs) I increase my klonopin as my dc suggested! 

What are you taking ?

• Posted

Try not to take but one .25 Klonopin or a 2 mg of diazepam in the am afraid of addiction. Take vistaril later if I need it
    • Posted

What do take to relieve anxiety. Week 3 today had three better days with much less anxiety.
    • Posted

what do you take to relieve anxiety, my dr. Is overly concerned about addiction of benzo ‘s Reached 3 weeks on Lexapro had three better days with a lot less anxiety. Every other day
    • Posted

What side effects did you get? I seem to have a lot of gas and constipation and waves of stomach cramps and little appetite which could be due to anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi Lynn - from what I've read (and experienced), it kicks in at different times for different people. I take it for GAD/MDD (10 mg like you), and I started to feel it at about 14 d. But some people say it takes them up to 8 wks. Scientists don't fully understand how it works, but they know it takes the brain some time to adapt! You're also on a lower dose. Your doctor will know what's best for you, of course, but I know some prescribe up to 20 mg. (That much made me sleepy; I stuck with the 10.)

I did have some mood swings and tiredness in the first few weeks. These got better with time. 

• Posted

Did it get better all at once or gradually I had a few better days this week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.