Escitalopram Dosage Increase 10mg to 15mg - Side Effects Similar to Start-up

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started on 10 mg of Escitalopram a little over a month ago for generalized anxiety and panic attacks (no depression).  I had some pretty bad start-up side effects (anxiety went through the roof, almost no appetite, tiredness, and upset stomach).  After about two weeks the side effects started to slowly go away and I was feeling much better but still had some underlying generalized anxiety.  I would say on a 1-10 scale i went from a 7 before the medication to a 2 for anxiety.  

I went to my psychiatrist two days ago and she told me to up the dosage to 15mg to see if that helps with the remaining anxiety.  After asking about side effects, because I had them to start, she said that I shouldn't have many negative side effects bumping up 5mg.  But the past two days my anxiety has really increased and I literally have no appetite.  The thought of eating almost makes me sick.  I am somewhat kicking myself because the anxiety had gotten a lot better and now I am afraid that upping the dosage made it worse again.  

Has anyone had any experience increasing their dosage and experiencing side effects?  If so, how long did they last and were they as bad as when you started the medication? Thanks in advance.       

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Im on zoloft but its a known fact that increasing any antidepressant dosage will give you similiar side effects to what you experienced when you first started the medication. 

Having said that most people find the increase dosage side effects less intense and go away fast (normally 2 weeks).

• Posted

Hi Kyle,I too went from being on 10mg of lexapro for 4 weeks and was feeling better but still with some morning anxiety  my psych doctor increased the dosage to 15mg,I started on 15mg about 2 weeks ago and did not have any side effects except I felt sleepy after taken it for about 3 hours and then the afternoon and evening was fine.I also take a small amount of klonopin .125mg in the afternoon and .25mg at night,I am suppose to take a third dose of .125mg in the morning but I don't feel that I need it so I don't. Good luck to you,keep me posted and God Bless.

• Posted

Hi kyle, yes i felt the start up symptoms once i increased my dosage, i moved from 5mg to 7.5mg, my Doc prescribed me Nitrazepam 1.25mg to 2.5mg depending on the severity of the panick attack, this is just to be taken for about a week till the side effects reduce.

I must make it clear that the side effects are milder than the initial start up, so don't panick, also, some people dont really get them.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.