Escitalopram (lexapro) side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

so I was given 10mg escitalopram for generalized anxiety. was told by psychiatrist to cut it in half for a few weeks to have it build up slowly in my system. anyway I started in march 26,2020 I didnt feel much for the first week or so but now finishing week two I've been having realy bad pain in my lower back, some radiating pain on my left chest that come and go. my mind feels so out of whack like I might lose control . behind my head feels tense and I'm.getting headaches all day today. and anxiety has been on edge all day. i do have klonopin to go with the escitalopram. i just need some reassurance as to if this is suppose to feel.this way. or do i need to move up to 10mg already. i dont see my psychiatrist until april 27. I'm really feeling unwell. .. I also suffer with this air hunger feeling like I can't get enough air so I have to keep taking deep breaths. this has been going on for months prior to the coronavirus. I had test done on lungs and heart and it was all normal. I was hoping lexapro can help alleviate these symptoms. can anyone please relate to my situation . I would realy much apreciate it very much.

thankle you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi! I'm someone with several autoimmune disorders who's been on lexapro in the past, and I personally never experienced these side effects due to the medication. I do however have severe anxiety and experience similar symptoms when my anxiety is extremely high, especially chest pain and headaches. This may well be your anxiety causing physical side effects, but I would personally see if there's a way to contact your psychiatrist before your next appointment to ask. I'm personally no longer on lexapro as it had little to no effect on my anxiety, so I did experience many of the symptoms you're describing due to the actual anxiety, but I had those symptoms before beginning lexapro as well. It's concerning that these issues are popping up so fast after starting lexapro, so I do believe some of your symptoms could be a bad reaction to the medication and would highly suggest emailing or calling your psychiatrist if possible since the lexapro shouldn't cause such physical side effects unless for some reason the lexapro is somehow making your anxiety worse. Sorry I can't help much more, but I do hope you feel better!

• Posted

thank you for sharing my next apointment will be april 27 with the psychiatrist. and yes it seems like anxiety getting worst but I've heard from others that it gets worst before it gets better. although I just wanted to be sure that these symptoms are what they call worst. yes definitely anxiety. so hopefully it gets better if not no harm done just get off it and work on other ways .

thank you

• Posted

Deal with your anxiety and everything else will fall into place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.