Escitalopram ruined my life ( JUST ONE MONTH and LOW DOSE)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sorry for my english, i am not native english speaker. Started Escitalopram because of anxiety. AFter three days on escitalopram 5 mg i simply could not sleep at all (never had serious problems with sleep before), so my doctor prescribed me very potent benzo - phenazepam . it helped. After three weeks i stopped benzo my sleep dissapeared completely, i have panicked and asked doctor if i can stop taking escitalopram becouse i cannot bear absolute insomnia and didnt want to became benzo addict, she said "no problem , there will be no withdrawal becouse u have been on low dose", so i stopped . And then s**t just got to the next level . Next day after i stopped medicaton. I started feeling like i am on cocaine, more 4 days without sleep at all and no problem with it , i just didnt want to sleep and felt absolutely fine. At day 5 suddenly tinnitus, brain zaps, non stop panic , mild seizures, depersonalisation, panic attacks, headaches , dizziness , diarrea, non stop crying, all body numbnes, very low temperature,suicide thoughts and brutal anxiety ,tachicardia, high blood presurre, hypersensivity to light and to sound, rushed, adrenaline spikes in body, i felt like i was dying. Finnaly i slept 3 hours and then 3 more nights without sleep at all so i took benzo, then i took 1 benzo every weeks.hen i was put on mirtazapin with not much luck, so i stopped it, then i stopped benzo. It has been 3 month after i stoped escitalopram and i still have brutal insomnia (3, 4-5 hours if lucky of interupted sleep). Start taking SSRi was worst decision in my life. I shold have gone to CBT first.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

so sorry you have had this experience. please dont think it has ruined your life. this is temporary im sure it will pass. i know i took sleeping pills one time for just a few days and i had insomnia for few weeks after - i swore id never take anything to help me sleep again. maybe just put this down to withdrawal - your doc was irresponsible jsut stopping you suddenly - these drugs can make you feel odd after just one tablet so after three weeks its reasonable to assume abruptly stopping them will cause chaos to body. try to remain calm, remember this is temporary. your body will sleep when your mind feels more calm. youll get through it, its a terrible experience but your life is not ruined. and do try cbt its very worthwhile

• Posted

Thank you very much. It have been maybe 1.5 month since my last benzo. I stopped it because after every benzo i felt better for few days and then major setback. So its is absolutely possible and i think its true that i am in double withdrawal. One from escitalopram and one from benzo. Right now my biggest issue is sleep. Usually Even if i tired as hell i cant sleep like something broken in my body. Few days ago i finally found PT who agreed to work with me( others said that in my condition CBT alone is uselsess , they wanted to put me on SSRI again) To help me sleep i take magnesium, melatonin, 5 htp, motherwort. This combinations makes me drowsy but doesnt help fall asleep or stay asleep. So i am going to stop taking them before i get new addiction.

• Posted

Wow, you poor thing this really sounds awful. without sleep everything that you would have initially started on medication for is also made worse:( . i hope the doctors look after you well and dont be afraid to go for a second opinion etc. these meds are so much stronger than a lot of docs seem to realise! Maybe they think because we have mental health issues that we're being dramatic! It's good that youre getting some therapy too i mean it can only help. sounds like going medication free for a bit may help but obvs listen to medics too. hope youve got some good support around you!

• Posted

things got worse. cant sleep at all past few days. really thinking about suicide. i think jumping in front of train will be the best way to stop it all.

• Posted

Hi alexander17313

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

ive just seen this. are you ok? please please see a doctor or phone a helpline. that is not the answer. your pain will go in time. you are strong enough and worth fighting for

• Posted

i am ok . got prescripted seroquel for sleep yesterday. it worked. but after 5 days without sleep at all. was going insane. . really sorry for making you worry.

• Posted

glad youre ok!! make sure to keep in touch with tour doc. yoh shoudlnt have to suffer like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.