Escitalopram side effects.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

After having anxiety and depression for a considerable amount of time my dr thinks that I will get better with Lexapro. I have to take a 7.5 mg the first week and then increase it to 15.

I’m a little bit worried because I’m a student and I have the exams within a month. I know that this med has some side effects during the first weeks and I fear they could affect my capacity to satay focus.

Could anyone tell me their experience?

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The first month was the hardest for me but everyone is different. I think you should try 2.5 for a day or two and see how you react. Then decide if you can handle it. I hope you're one of the lucky ones who has few side effects! Mine were manageable but I was super tired and it was well worth it.

Good Luck!

Sam

• Posted

7,5mg is a strong dose to start on - I agree with Sam to start things slow. And a week after to then double the dose is insane! Unless you are very lucky, I would put good money on you feeling the effects quite strong if you go 15mg after just one week.

I would space the 2.5mg doses, and would suggest that you see how 10mg goes for you before sailing off to 15mg. Some people even find 5mg is sufficient.

All the best with your exams,

Matt

• Posted

Thanks both for your answers.

This is the first time I take ADs but as far as I know here in Spain drs tend to recommend 10 mg the first week and then double it to 20 so that I though that actually 7.5 was ok to begin with.

Maybe she told me to take the pills this way because I have some symptoms of depression aside from anxiety.

Anyway you believe it’s better to take 2.5 at first, but what frequency should I follow to increase it?

• Posted

I would take it for 5 days and then go up if you feel you can handle it. Let your reaction be your guide because no one else knows better than you.

Cheers!

Sam

• Posted

No disrespect Sam, but at 5 days, there is still plenty to go on. General practice is closer to 2 weeks between doses. Going to quick you run the risk of going on a dose that is too high before the effects have settled...

• Posted

None taken mate. The exams are within a month so I would wait until after exams to take any dose for however long Matts says. Ha Ha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.