Escitalopram versus Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. About a year ago I was prescribed Escitalopram for anxiety problems. Started on 10 mg and then went up to 20mg. Felt like a new person and better than I can ever remember. However, after about 6 months the effects of the drug wore off and the anxiety returned. After trying several other drugs that really made me feel physically ill I decided to try living without anything. Did OK for about 3 months then the anxiety came back with avengeance. Now on 20mg of Citalopram and in week 4. Getting all the bad side effects and none of the benefits and am at the end of my tether. Can barely work, which is not good as I am self employed.

Has anyone out there tried both these medications, and if so what were your experiences?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi,ive been taking cit for a while now and i took it a couple of years ago for anxiety and related depression and honestly it really helped me then and is helping me now,the side effects can be bad but they do pass and remember they are just amplified versions of anxiety,which however horrible,wont harm you. i really think you have to give it time and give it a good go,i read a really good blog by physco poet on panic no more,give it a read. even when im having a bad day,its still not as bad as it was and the good days are coming more and more,stay positive and i really hope things settle for you soon :D
  • Posted

Hi and thanks for your words of encouragement. I have actually had a better day today, but don't know whether that's because of circumstance or Citalopram working. Whichever, its better than yesterday. Isn't it crazy that an anti - anxiety drug makes you feel worse before making you better? I only take tablets as a last resort, and I am sure most people are the same.
  • Posted

it is kind of funny that anxiety medication makes you feel anxious!!! if i hadnt taken it b4 i think i wouldve been put off by all the posts on here but from experience i know it works well smile but i felt bad anyway so more and more good days is a big plus,it is def good to talk to people that understand :D
  • Posted

[size=18:dc900258ed][/size:dc900258ed]Hi all, this is interesting. I suffer from depression with consequent anxiety and panic, and have been on 20mg citalopram per day since September. Although one doesn't know what it would have been like without it, I can't feel it has helped me at all.

I did try 40mg cit per day (with doctor's agreement) but it gave me the shakes. I also tried the adrenalin suppressor (beta2 blocker) Half Inderal, but that made me feel short of breath, so I had to stop taking it before it had a chance to do any good.

I haven't been able to stop drinking and smoking, despite knowing the risks :oops: . Alcohol does give some respite, but DON'T try it if you don't drink. 'They' say it makes matters worse, so I am trying to cut down. Smoking does the same without giving any respite, so don't try that either.

Can anyone share experiences of other anti-depressants in comparison with citalopram ? Fluoxetine apparently isn't appropriate for drinkers, so didn't do much for me, ultimately.

Best wishes to all.

• Posted

Hello. I am in the same situation regarding the drinking and smoking and when I firsy sought help witrh the anxiety the counsellor was always telling me to cut down on the drinking, despite me telling her that I have had anxiety problems since a very early age, i.e. long before I ever started drinking.

Steer clear of Fluoxetine and alcohol - unless you want extremely embarrasing flash backs for the rest of your days!

Since I wrote the first post I have come off Citalopram and the doctor has put me on Escitalopram again. He was reluctant to do this first off as Escitalopram is much more expensive. I haven't taken any yet. All the tablets I have taken make me so tired, so don't want to fall asleep in me Christmas dinner in front of 7 guests!! Also, just got my first appointment for CBT through, so pinning all me hopes on that.

• Posted

[quote:37de16dff2=\"katiea \"]it is kind of funny that anxiety medication makes you feel anxious!!! if i hadnt taken it b4 i think i wouldve been put off by all the posts on here but from experience i know it works well smile but i felt bad anyway so more and more good days is a big plus,it is def good to talk to people that understand :D[/quote:37de16dff2]

I had quite bad depression and citalopram really helped me i am on it after 4 years and my life is so much better it helped with my sleeping problems as well but i do take temazepam but i still feel it helped me. the only side effect was strange dreams but that was sort of a bonus because i never used to dream citalopram and temazepam improved my life. Trust me the docs now what there doing these are safe drrugs that really help.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU TAKE CARE AND BEST WISHES

adam. doing great now x

• Posted

[quote:3d4bf91c7c=\"katiea \"]it is kind of funny that anxiety medication makes you feel anxious!!! if i hadnt taken it b4 i think i wouldve been put off by all the posts on here but from experience i know it works well smile but i felt bad anyway so more and more good days is a big plus,it is def good to talk to people that understand :D[/quote:3d4bf91c7c]

I had quite bad depression and citalopram really helped me i am on it after 4 years and my life is so much better it helped with my sleeping problems as well but i do take temazepam but i still feel it helped me. the only side effect was strange dreams but that was sort of a bonus because i never used to dream citalopram and temazepam improved my life. Trust me the docs now what there doing these are safe drrugs that really help.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU TAKE CARE AND BEST WISHES

adam. doing great now x

• Posted

I was in escitalopram for major depression but hated how it made me feel, hands were trembling, zero sex drive, I just didn't feel normal. Now I'm on citalopram and feel much more like my old self. Everyone one seems to have different experiences with these drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.