Escitalopram - which generic available in the UK to go for??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a prescription for Escitalopram (I am based in the UK) nd know from experience that generics do vary having had a bad experience with a different generic of Lansoprazole. What are people's experiences with the different generics of escitalopram? - I know we are all different but it would be good to have some feedback from personal experiences.

Thanks

C

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So far it seems the generic Celexa and Ativan are holding the worst at bay.
    • Posted

Hi Diane

Which generic are you taking - is it Teva, Mylan, Bristol etc etc?

Thanks

C

ps did you get any start up effects? and how long have you been on it?

• Posted

10mg of Citalopram and have only been on 7 days. I have heard that people suffer increased anxiety before they get relief but I think my ativan is keeping that mostly under control. I still am getting what I would call anxiety attacks but much less.

I am only taking a small amount of Ativan, 3 1/2 pills a day, I can 1/2 at 6am, 1pm and around 7pm and the full pill is only 5mg

• Posted

Hi Diane - citalopram is different to escitalopram although they are very similar - it should say on the box or on the medicine pack the name of the manufacturer eg. Teva, Mylan, Almus etc - I am interested in knowing which generic suits people the most - although we are all different. By generic I mean when the patent expires for the original drug any company can apply to manufacture it under it's 'generic' name. For example I currently have a Mylan version of citalopram but want to try escitalopram as it is supposed to act more quickly but  who knows. By the way what are you taking it for is it anxiety and depression or both? and how severe it is?

C

• Posted

Mainly anxiety, but I have pushed my depression down for years. I think my near death from major clogged artery in my heart this Feb (which has a,Stent now) was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have lost 5 close relatives, my mom and brother for two in the last 5 years. My stomach issues and anxiety in traffic started after my mom died ( I was her caregiver ) and after getting out of the hospital the breathing and throat tightness started as well as severe feeling of tight belt around my ribs under breasts.

Last Monday I was taken to the er because of chest pain and blood pressure skyrocketed. I saw,my cardiologist the next day and she put me on Celexa

• Posted

What a lot of of stress you have had - I wish you well going forward

From what you say you have been prescribed the brand Celexa - so this is not a generic. Take care x

• Posted

The name on the bottle is generic starts with Cit. I mentioned it in another posy on this thread

Thank you, I wish you well as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.