Escitalopram with mirtazepine any experiences with mirtz??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, just come back from a review with a physchiatrist and he has recomended I change my meds as he believes I still have clinical depression  so I will as from tonight be introducing mirtazepine (already on 20mg escitalopram) starting with 15mg tonight and increasing to 30mg ASAP.

my question is does anyone have experience with mirtazepine and potentially escitalopram as well. Should I expect the normal lows before it starts working or will this be negated by the existing escitalopram

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The only thing that mirtazapine helps me with is sleep. Its meant to help with appetite but that hasn't happened.  I take venlafaxine with it as well. 
    • Posted

Thanks Kat, most of the reviews mention weight gain so I'm hoping I don't pile on the pounds but will see how it goes 
  • Posted

Not sure how it will react with escitalopram, but mirt on it's own, from my own experience and others on the forum, can be quite difficult to deal with if you are not expecting the extent of how effective it is at helping you sleep, like waking up about 6 hours later than you thought you would, and even then feeling pretty groggy for a few hours afterwards. try it and see I guess, its different for everyone. just good to be prepared I guess
    • Posted

Thanks Paul, I am prepared for a good nights sleep just wondered what to expect in terms of a raise in depression / anxiety etc but will see how it goes. 
  • Posted

Hi I didn't take mirtazapine long enough to know if it helped with my depression as it made me so sleepy I had to come off in a couple weeks.  You might be different though.  I take setroline now and have no worries with that,
  • Posted

Hi I got given mirt to try by my g.p. as escitalopram 20 not helping. I literally slept for 18 hours and woke up feeling that I could have slept 18 more!

Not sure what to do tonight. Gterat I slept last night but can't look after my kids. Thinking about taking 7.5 tonight instead of 15

• Posted

Hi that is exactly what I do!   I was prescribed 15mg at night but found I overslept and was really groggy the next day.  The dr said I would get used to it but I take half instead which is enough for me to sleep without the spaced out feeling.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.