Escitopram for PMDD

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey there, I just started Escitopram generic version of lexapro 4 days ago. I was prescribed 10mg but told I could cut them in half so that’s what I’ve been doing so far. I was told this will help with what we think is PMDD. My doctor said to try it a week before and during my period and then I could stop taking it until the following month at the same time. I haven’t had terrible side affects but I have had spaceyness, loss off appetite, flu like symptoms of weekness, and still not wanting to go anywhere or leave the house (lack of interest in doing things). I have heard that normally after a week or two the medicine gets better. I am hopeful, I just stated a new nanny job so thats been kind of new and has made me anxious as well. Any advice is so appreciated! Best of luck to all who have stumbled here because they are going through the same thing! We can do this!  

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Annamarie!

?I just started taking escitalopram. Like you, I've started by cutting the 10 mg pills in half. Are you planning on going up to 10 mg, and, if so, when? I had originally thought I'd do the 5 mg pills for just 6 days, but since my insomnia has gotten worse since starting them, I may wait longer.

?So far, I've had minimal side effects except the insomnia, but that could actually be because of anxiety rather than the medication. I felt a bit spacy the first two days around 5 or 6, and then had this chilly scalp tingling feeling around the same time. Otherwide, that's been it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.