Escitralopram - 3 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all just seeking a bit of support and guidance. Ive been taking escitralopram for just over 3 weeks after switching from citralopram. I managed to avoid the horrible side effects I had with cit and last week has a few good days where I almost felt back to normal and was feeling positive about getting back to work soon and our upcoming move into a new home. Then yeaterday felt anxiousness creeping back in and this morning woke up at 4 feeling super panicky and dread etc. Im so frustrated as thought I might have been making some progress and am so scared that Im going backwards.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hello Lucy,

Welcome and glad you've asked the question.

So what you are feeling is perfectly natural. You will start to hew "some" effect at week 3 but, as you are experiencing, only mild relief on and off. I had the exact same thing but by week 5 you will see a drastically better difference. From week 3 every day will get better and better. I know it's frustrating and it would be wonderful if a pill could work from day 1 but hang in there. My experience was identical. Felt something positive at week 3 but still had some panic attacks over the next week as half. As then the clouds really cleared and NOTHING, no panic, no fear. Please hang in there hi are really almost there. I promise. Contact me at time.

• Posted

sorry just realised how many spelling mistakes there were!

Welcome and glad you've asked the question.

So, what you are feeling is perfectly natural. You will start to have "some" effect at week 3 but, as you are experiencing, only mild relief on and off. I had the exact same thing but by week 5 you will see a drastically better difference. From week 3 every day will get better and better. I know it's frustrating and it would be wonderful if a pill could work from day 1 but hang in there. My experience was identical. Felt something positive at week 3 but still had some panic attacks over the next week and a half. And then the clouds really cleared and NOTHING, no panic, no fear. Please hang in there you are really almost there. I promise. Contact me any time.

• Posted

Thanks so so much for this response its really helpful. When you were 3 weeks in were you able to feel any hope that you would feel better or were you still worried you woukd feel like this forever? How many weeks are you in now?

• Posted

anytime lucy

well the full effect took 6 weeks. But from week 4 it just got better everyday. the panic slowly but surely melted away. it's frustrating but these pills are amazing . i know it's hard to hold on but the healing is coming, you will be amazed how good they are

• Posted

Thanks for this its really helpful to know they worked for you and gives me some hope. The thing Im really struggling with is the blips - each time i feel better i think i might have turned a corner and then have a bad day and feel back to square 1.

• Posted

how you feeling now lucy? 5 days on.. hope it's a little more consistent now, still a good 2 weeks of improvement to go though so no worries if not much better

• Posted

Hi Alex its been a tough few days. My mood is still pretty low and patches of anxiety throughout the day. Finding im particularly bad first thing on a morning and then it usually seems to ease off throughout the day. Im just feeling so frustrated as feel like ive been ill forever and am never going to feel like myself again

• Posted

i know it's frustrating lucy but you're only 4 weeks in and it will take another 2 weeks to get to where it will show if this medication is right. have there been any positives?

• Posted

Hi Alex Thanks so much for checking in. I've had a bit of a rollercoster week as my husband and I are in the process of buying a house and weve had a few setbacks this week. This has caused loads of anxiety and almost panic attack like symptoms. Still feeling low and anxious on a morning but this does seem to get better and wear off as the day goes on. I think im seeing some small improvements but its so hard to tell in the midst of it. Im at 5 weeks today. Does this sound similar at all to your experience? How are you doing?

• Posted

Hello, I know this post is a couple months old but just wondered how it turned out for you? I am currently halfway through week 3 of 10 mg lexapro. I seem to be in a similar position you were in when you started this forum. I was on citalopram for the better part of 3 years which stabilized me, but after some breakthrough anxiety my gp upped the dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg. after 4 weeks I could not take it any longer as I was only getting worse, so he swapped me to escitalopram. the first week I had a hard time, actually had a few panic attacks, I believe...which was new to me. now I have parts of the day when I feel "ok" not myself but not feeling like I need to check myself in somewhere. I told my husband one day in the beginning I really thought I was losing my mind. I saw a physiatrist last week and she said 8 - 10 weeks. Just not sure I can give it that long in my current state. I feel so hopeless and worthless. I feel like I am actually worse than when this all started. any encouraging words would be greatly appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.