esmaya

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i am taking esmaya for 3 months on then have to wait for a bleed then start again .i forgot to ask consultant do i take them as soon as i bleed or is it after the period stops ? The last course i took i had a period then a really bad one after that then its been bliss so just wondering if i have taken them wrong. Dont go back to hospital till july any advice anyine. I must say these tablets have been a god send for the most part x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lyn I'm not sure it makes any difference as it doesn't affect the bleeding that quickly, I would take them from the first day. There's no reason necessarily to wait for a period, but it's just to check you're functioning 'normally' I guess. As I'm menopausal, I just waited for a couple of months before taking them again. Esmya has been great for me, but the fibroids do grow back........I stopped taking my last course in March, and I have just started to bleed a little now, so I guess they've grown already. My stomach is a lot smaller though.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply christine, it has been an absolute god send i have been calling it a miracle drug. Suffer so badly i just cant go anywere its such a relief to have some freedom. It was just last time after i had a break , i had to stop wait for period then was bleeding for ten days so in total didnt take them for nearly three weeks then ended up having another bad period the next time a think am gonna try n take it like u said on first day so hopefully that wont happen again. Just wasnt sure how to take them. Loving having freedom dont want it to end half way through only allowed another 6 months sad terrified of having a hysterectomy wishing the menapause would kick in n these fibrois would shrink n go away x
    • Posted

Hi Lyn

I think you need to take tablet on first day of cycle, but not essential, just take as soon as you can.

I am in same position. I am 53 and hoping to get to menopause without the total hysterectomy. Terrified of the surgery option.

Currently on second month of 3 month course (first course). Had bad first month with side effects, but stomach is now getting smaller so is definitely working. I see gynaecologist at end June so hoping she lets me continue on the Esmya.

I am not looking forward to the 2 month break, other people have had very heavy and painful bleeding as before.

Good luck, hope the treatment works for you.

Julie

• Posted

Hi there, I've had 4 cycles of 3 months. Look on the drug sheet with the pills. I tells you to have a cycle after finishing 3 months. So wait for a period let it finish then wait for the next period & start taking it again on the first day.

• Posted

Hi Lyn. I took these and the advice which I believe it also states in the leaflet enclosed in the box, is.... that you have a 2 month gap so you let yourself have 1 period and then when the second one comes, you start taking when the bleed comes or within a few days of the bleed starting.

Hope that helps. I also found they helped me. 

• Posted

Thankyou everyone for advice i have just read the advice sheet but i was sure she said wait for period then start again i did have 2 periods last time as when i stopped taking them they must take a good bit time to work again. They really are a blessing dont no what am gonna do with out them. sad
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, One gynie also said the same to me. However another said so as the drug company tell you in the instructions, so I did. I've had a lot of these, but they are not the answer, there are side effects (or can be side effects) that can cause greater issues than fibroids. They are a temporary releif usually only pre surgery for shrinkage & to increase iron stores. They were originally only licensed for 6 months, which increased to a year as the full effects are still being monitored.

• Posted

Since 2015 they have been licenced for intermittent use of fibroids, so as far as I know there is no limit of 1 year, but sensible use with large gaps. Improvements can last up to a year of even longer. I took two courses and have now not taken for a year and I am still improved with lighter periods like I used to have before the fibroids. Everyone is different.   They can be the answer for some.....and an alternative to risky surgery. They are for me.  ... I have also taken up reiki alongside as I am open to alternative healing methods so maybe that has also helped but I cannot be sure as I could still be under benefits of the eysma.  
  • Posted

I also found it is is best to take these daily at night time, so the tiredness side effects are more prominent whilst you sleep rather than throughout the daytime.
    • Posted

Esmya is only licensed for one years worth of prescription as a whole. If you are waiting for a period & then taking at the start of the following period between 3 monthly courses then the whole 12 months prescription could last over 18 to 20 months dependant on your cycles. Esmya was only licennsed for 6 months intially then after trials in 2015 & results in 2016 was licensed for 12 months MAXIMUM. This may change of course in the future as they do more reasearch but there can be side effects.

• Posted

Oh perhaps you are right. I have been given a third 3 month prescription when I asked for it last year by GP, with a proviso of speak to Gynae for further if needed. I haven't even taken them as I will go as long as possible on the improvements from the 2 courses before. I hope I never need them. I am not one to take meds unless really need. My side effects were minimal. (Bit of tiredness and if took at night not so noticeable) and the odd very small warm flush.  

• Posted

Hi, I am just finishing my second course, after the first I had one period (which was horrendous) and then told to wait for the second period (equally horrendous) and to start taking Esmya on the second day, they took a week or so to kick back in again, but as you say such a relief when they do! I don't think you have taken them wrong, just some people still have bad periods during the break. I have personally decided to have a hysterectomy as I want to get my life back and dread the break so much......don't want to go on like this!

I wish you well , let me know if I can help you more.

Barb x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.