Esmaya treatment for large uterine fibroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I have a large uterine fibroid (10cm) and considering Esmaya or the traditional injection as treatment. Based on my research, Esmaya can cause liver problems. Would like to get your views on this medicine. I'm 36 and would like to start family soon. Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

i am not sure if you can get esyma anymore o have had zoladex injections both shrunk my fibroid but have just had a hysterectomy too

• Posted

Will try taking Esmaya. Hopefully it will shrink my fibroid. Don't know if hysterectomy is ok as I still want to have children

• Posted

Esmya didn't work for me. In fact the fibroids grew during the time I was taking it. I never understood how a progesterone blocker is supposed to help when fibroids are mostly fed by estrogen. Even when it works the effects of it are only temporary. And you cannot take it more than 3 months at a time. I am sorry to say you may have to look at other alternatives if you're looking for a solution. I haven't had the injections but again they would be temporary. The fibroid would grow again once your hormones go back to normal... My experience anyway.

Is it a submucosal fibroid? If it is, a hysteroscopy is a possibility.

You only have one and that makes things simpler.

Good luck!

• Posted

My only goal for taking medications is for me to conceive a baby. Afterwards, I will consider surgery. My ob said I can't have surgery now (since I'm considering a baby) because the subserosal fibroid is so large (10cm). What happened to your fibroid anyway, if i may ask?

• Posted

It's still there with all its friends! A friend of mine had a myectomy for several fibroids and had a healthy baby afterwards.

• Posted

Oh dear... I'm having doubts about this Esmaya. My doctor don't recommend surgery because my myoma is large. I have to take something to shrink the fibroid first then I can have surgery

• Posted

yeah i understand i took it for 3 months i think it shrunk it a little but then again you have to change diet as well and eat more veggies and green smoothies . that helped me a lot before i went in for the procedure to remove it completely.

• Posted

The Esmya is useful to make you stronger before the surgery because you are not bleeding like crazy for three months. No doctor wants you with anemia before surgery. So even if it didn't shrink it it may be a good idea. A 10cm fibroid can be removed by myectomy even though doctors will always try to make it smaller before.

• Posted

I don't have heavy periods, only first and second day plus 3 days spotting. I only get mild tummy ache during period which I think is normal. I'm not anemic. My ob gyn said I can't have surgery because of my large 10cm fibroid (uterus is at risk). Don't know if Esmaya or Gn-RH injection will help shrink it. What can you suggest? It feels depressing 😦 I want to have a child soon... Thanks in advance!

• Posted

I feel reluctant to take Esmaya. Don't know if it will be effective. Thanks for the advice! Will change my diet. How was your surgery btw? How small/big was your fibroid if i may ask? Hope post-surgery was not so painful...

• Posted

What do you have to lose? I would try it. If that's the only way your doctor will contemplate taking it out then it's worth trying. I did not have side affects during Esmya, only mild headaches for the first two weeks. It didn't shrink my fibroids so not a solution for me but I don't regret trying.

• Posted

oh the surgery i had was a hysterocopy procedure which is done through the lady part so it was painless didnt even feel like i had anything done because the fibroid causing the problem was a submuscosal which was about 5cm and causing heavy bleeds which made me anaemic at the time. now they have removed that one, 4 others have come up and the largest is about 5cm too and becoming uncomfortable so now am going back to have the mymectomy which is the open surgery i dont have a choice cos i want this critters out they cause a lot of problems for women in child bearing age. i rather deal with the pain than to leave with this horrible things.

• Posted

I'm taking Esmaya by end of the month. Will have to wait I guess for the first day of period. Hope it will help shrink my fibroids as it is so large 😦 Did you take any calcium tablets with Esmaya?

• Posted

hi i was on esmya last year for 3 months i am not sure if it did much to the size but one thing it definitely did was to stop my heavy bleed before i went in for the hysteroscopy surgery to remove the subserol fiborid causing the bleed. now i have 3 others that require open mymectonmy and i cant wait to have them removed as well cause they suck the energy out of you

• Posted

I don't experience heavy bleeding during my period except first and second days with a little discomfort or pain which I think is normal. But my fibroid is 10cm and I wanted to have a baby soon. Do you think I would need surgery after taking Esmaya? I've never been hospitalized before 😦

• Posted

it depends on what the esmya does to reduce to the symptoms if not, you would have to explore other options for me am going for surgery next month because am tired of living with them and yes is my first time., am having the mymectomy because i still want children

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.