Esmya

Posted , 6 users are following.

Back in 2012 i had a fibroid embolisation proformed it stop my periods after 3 months.But brought on the early menopause at the age of 46 which i was told would not happen. My fibroid shrunk and my belly went down to has it was the size of a cricket ball on my left side and sitting on my bladder.

3 years later i am back at my Gp with back ache and pain in my right hip and after a scan i have another fibroid sitting in the front wall of my uterus which is at the moment the size of a golf ball.

I have two options removal of my uterus n tubes or to take Esmya for 3 months,i don't know which to do has i was under the impression that being on the menopause n the embolisation would prevent any more fibroids occuring. Im 50 next year do i take the Esmya and hope no more return or go for the opp?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kizzy

I have 2 grapefruit size fibroids and have had appalling bleeding for 2 yrsI am on esmya too and I agree that it has shrunk them and stopped the bleeding but my gynae says that it's only licensed to be a stop gap to make the hystero easier and less invasive and to let you get yr hb/ levels back

She says there is no evidence that they stop growing in the menopause and so my operation is on the 21st I want my active life back! I am. 49 .

• Posted

Hi Hillary

I'm 49 this year and since 2009 my first fibroid I was put on the mernia coil. Which did in encense stop my period's. But my fibroid continued to grow to cricket ball size.

After 3 year's I had the embolisation which did the trick. Then 2 year's later it happened again. And I agree with you no evidence fibroids stay away during or after menopuse. My sis in law at the age of 53 was plagued with them. So after seeing my gyno this week have to decided to have the opp has did decided on the Esmya. But I would have been back to square 1 in 12 months time.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery I'm waiting for my date just been put on the list.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.