Esmya Tablets

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey there

for over 10 years i have had fibriods. they burn them out put coil in then about 2 years later they grow back.

i am 42 and do not want any children now. my womb isn't the right shape to have womb lazered so now my gyne has put me on these tablets.

do they really stop the bleeding?? i bleed about 2 weeks a month with usually 4 to 5 days of horrific flooding. hate going anywhere when i am bleeding.

i am fat so don't think they want me to have hysterectomy.

would like to know if it really makes a difference to the bleeding??

also how bad is the bleeding when on your break??

i really have had enough of it all now just want it to stop. really makes me sad and dark at times.

just want a normal life.

any information would be great

thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise, I was on Esmya for several months, they were a God send and really helped me as gave me a break from my dreadful symptoms, I started struggling during the breaks and I knew it was not a permanent fix, but a welcome break to get my head straight! I decided to have a hysterectomy two years ago and have not looked back, it was right for me but I realise not for everyone. There will be other options available for you so speak to your consultant and find out where you go after Esmya, unless it has changed you can only do a few cycles so use the break from your symptoms to really push to get other options on the table long term!

I wish you well and hope you find the way forward to a pain free future.

xx

• Posted

hey Barbara

thank you so much for your reply. think i need to find out if this is forever because that is how she explained it.

but this was middle of viewing my womb with camera so maybe i missed something.

positive to know they work i am still bleeding after a week on them but putting that down to biopsy they took and removing my coil.

i am in holiday next week so may call my gyne when i get back. or might even do it this week as my head is such a mess at the mo

thank yoy so much for ypur information

thanks louose xx

• Posted

Hi,

I agree with Barbara.

I had a fibroid the size of a tennis ball which pushed my uterus into my bladder and when I saw the nhs consultant, they offered me Esmya tablets but after researching them and realising they are only a temporary fix, plus seeing the side effects and that they dont always work, I went private for a second opinion and to discuss the best long term solution.

My options were to have the fibroid removed with full abdominal surgery, as the fibroid was too big to remove by keyhole, or to have a hysterectomy.

Bearing in mind once you've had fibroids you are prone to having more, and I was going ti have to have abdominal surgery anyway, plus I had a 7yr old son, I decided to go ahead with a hysterectomy but keep my ovaries, due to my age.

I definitely think it was the right decision.

If I were you, I would want to know what the options are post Esmya, because even if they work, it is only a temp fix and if by chance the fibroid has shrunk, it is likely ti grow again once you are off the meds.

I believe you are only allowed to take them two times maximum.

Good luck....

• Posted

Hi I am now 61 and I had many fibroids which grew from my early 50's . I had an ablation which worked for a while but they came back and my bleeding got worse and worse until it was almost constant.

My gynae wanted to rule out endometrial cancer so attempted a biopsy which I had to have under sedation due to my swollen and misshaped uterus, and the fact that there was never a time when I was NOT bleeding. This came back negative for cancer but my gynae was adamant I should have a hysterectomy. She prescribed me ESMYA to try to shrink the fibroids and improve the bleeding in the run-up to surgery.

ESMYA took a while to improve my condition, so I would say persevere as you won't see a lot of change for a couple of months. I didn't have too many side effects, and ESMYA really improved my quality of life. In fact towards the end of the 3 month course my bleeding had greatly diminished and the fibroids were shrinking so I rejected the surgery and opted to continue with ESMYA, having another 4 courses on and off. Happily eventually menopause kicked in and my fibroids and bleeding disappeared.

Of course now I have menopausal side effects to deal with and I don't dare go on HRT in case the hormones cause the fibroids to grow again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.