Esmya - Ulipristal pre-operative treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started on this medication today, I am 31 with a fibroid the size of a lime. My gynocologist asked me to take this med but said that it would need to be the GP who prescribes it, my GP was refusing to prescribe it until I made a conpliant, he then apologied, agrred to prescibe and said he was under a tight budget. Will keep you up to date on how I get on with this. Any questions or comments about you experience would be great. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, good for you for complaining.

I got my second round of esmya this week and my GP when he gave me the prescription, touched my arm as if to 'pull my leg' and said this is costing a fortune £340 and my reply was, just think of the relief I'm going to get! £4 a day is what that works out at .... anyway I don't care about the cost, I've suffered during my cycle for 33 years and saved them loads of money by not having the wherewithall to make a fuss and insist on investigations to find out what was wrong with me - I just thought it was normal to suffer pain!  There should be more gynae research to prevent women reaching a stage where they need medication and operations in my opinion. If it was men suffering it would be a different story.

So, good luck Rebecca and hope it works for you.  My fibroids did shrink but not sure by how much - after 4 to 6 weeks of finishing my first round I've asked for the second (and unfortunately last round) because once going back on progesterone only pill my bits and pieces started to complain again and my endometriosis has spread too and now my right ovary is starting to play up as well as the already damaged left one.  The GP said he's had to request surgery for me so that he could put the prescription through so it's onto the next stage for me - praying for more shrinkage and this time lots of shrinkage to make life a lot easier for surgery.  

Keep hopeful, some women have great results and it saves them from surgery. If I didn't have endometriosis as well as adhesions I think esmya would have been fantastic for me.

Still, it varies from woman to woman, but again good luck smile

Victoria

• Posted

Hi, I've just statrted my second month of Esmya, not had any side effects so all good there. i have a few fibroids, largest the size of a grapfuit, so quite big and had very heavy periods which resulted in needing a blood transfusion. luckily, i managed to get a 3 month prescription from my GP, as my consultant said i absoultely needed it. Had i not been given it, i really would have put up a fight for it, as the 1st time my fibs were diagnosed, i got discharged with no treamtment, a year on i was bleeding even more heavily and the fibs had grown so much my clothes did not fit. so agree with Victoria, that the symptoms need to be taken seriously by doctors and not just told to get lost.

Not had a period since i started the treatment.

• Posted

Wow size of a grapefruit must be horrific, has it reduced in size since taking the Esmya? 
    • Posted

at the moment can't say i have noticed any difference, i am slim so my stomach does protrude out, still looks the same but hoping it is shrinking even by a few cms would be good
  • Posted

I have been on Esmya for 13 days now. Today I have experienced a huge flooding and gushing episode where I have been bleeding very heavy for 7 hours none stop. I've lost so much blood that NHS sent a paramedic around and I am waiting to go to A&E now. I took 6 transexamic acid tablets but they haven't worked at all. Filling a super plus extra tampon along with a sanitary towel every 30 minutes. I am only a size 8 and while my stomach protrudes a little I thought my fibroid was only the size of a lime (maybe its grown now), it's hard to believe that a fibroid of this size could cause so much damage. I have the marina coil also, I wonder if that's out of place? 

Just thought Id share my experience. Will give an update on what happens next. 

• Posted

oh my goodness, you poor thing, sounds awful. I am guessing you got to A&E by now - good job to, does not sound right. My guess is the coil is causing this episode. I hope they can figure it out and you get home soon with no more bleeding. Where is your fibroid located ? mine are intramural.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.