Esmya Update

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanted to update all you lovely ladies. I have taken two courses of Esmya now and my gynaecologist kindly agreed to let me have a scan to see how things were going. I was very pleased to be told that my 8cm fibroid had reduced in size to 5-6cm. I am delighted with this progress and intend to take a third course of Esmya once I have completed my two-month break. Really hope this helps anyone who might be considering taking it.

Best wishes to you all xx

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello ladies

Well I've decided to go with the Esmya. The gynaecologist wanted to see me in a month but my GP has not even received my hospital notes and I saw gynaecologist over a fortnight ago. Spoke to GP as period is just around the corner and I believe you have to take it during a bleed.

GP helped me this morning by saying to view Esmya as a way of reducing blood loss each month and saving my, dangerously low at one point, iron levels and getting that relief of pressure on my bladder I really need. After all the way it's going, hysterectomy could be a long way off if I'm on a waiting list for a long time.

What still bothers me though is the fact when you come off Esmya aren't they just going to grow straight back...I'm 46 I can't stay on it until the menopause if that doesn't happen for a good 4,5,6 years?! How long can you stay on it for?

• Posted

Hi Sophie. I’m also have been prescribed Esmya to shrink fibroids before hysterectomy. I have been waiting to start it and my period is 3 weeks late. I can’t be pregnant as I’m sterilised. I am furious today because I’ve just found out from my GP that the only reason for starting Esmya with your period is to make sure you’re not pregnant. 

So for the last month (since my gynaecologist prescribed it) my fibroids have been growing when they could have been shrinking. 

Symptoms are getting worse each week. I’m so annoyed. 

Just wanted to share that info to help others. If you can’t be pregnant then you can start Esmya at any point in your cycle it would seem. 

• Posted

Hi Sally

I really feel for you. As if we aren't going through enough already. I did wonder why you had to start it during a period, like you my periods are different now with fibroids, they come every 28 days but they don't start "properly" until day 5 of 6 of the then new cycle, drip and drab (too much info!) highly annoying because at any point it's a deluge so I'm always are on edge. So I waited until the deluge so there was no doubt but I needn't have now it would seem. I'm on day three now of the pills, no side effects yet. How are you getting on with them, are you feeling ok? Xx

• Posted

Day 3 for me too. No side effects so far. I came on yesterday (day 2 on Esmya) but I was expecting to come on then and the bleeding is normal so far. 
    • Posted

Now side effects are kicking in, a nice crop of acne on my face and a general low mood feeling with real tiredness. Makes you wonder if it’s worth it but guess still early days yet .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.