Esmya vs Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 35 years of age, live in Australia & have a 12cm Fibriod, I became aware of it a year ago & it continues to grow.

I'm keen on having surgery, but have just been told about the Esmya tablets (it just been released here). From the research I've done it seems the side-effects outweigh the benefits.

Has anyone had any success with the Esmya drug or surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm 31yrs, with a 11.5-12cm fibroid. From Aus too and my gyno suggested I wait for Esmya too. Was on it for the 3 months and there was no change. My uterus actually grew in the 3 months I was on it. Esmya made me tired, and a bit emotional and hot flushes and night sweats

It does stop the bleeding so that'll be a plus but based on all the comments I've read, and more importantly, any medical reviews/journals I could find, I don't think Esmya has a good success rate at shrinking bigger ones like ours. Even my gyno said afterwards that there isn't much research on bigger fibroids

It's up to you whether you want to give it a go. It costs $900 per 3 month treatment here (not on pbs yet..or maybe it is by now). It depends on how desperate you are to get rid of it time wise. If you give it a go, and it works, that's fantastic and you can avoid surgery. But if it doesn't work, how upset will you be that you "lost" 3-4 months of time? 

For me, I wish I could go back to October last year and just opt for surgery instead of being in limbo for the last year. 

If it doesn't work, your gyno will probably recommend going on Synarel for 2-3 months before surgery to shrink it (which is what im currently doing). Synarel is effective at shrinking it, but it's only temporary. As soon as you stop it, it grows back and you can't be on it long term. 

So if you want to give Esmya a go, you're looking at 3 months treatment, and if doesn't work, potentiall 2-3 months on Synarel before surgery. 

Surgery is major. It's a big deal. But I've never read a comment of someone being disappointed and regretting surgery. Then again, if it works, and the side effects are not thhhhatttttt bad, then amazing. It's a toss of the coin. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jess! Huge help & relief that there is someone else out there in the same boat.

From what I've read on the clinical trials it seems it may shrink it but not without side-effects and they don't know the long-term affects of taking more than few rounds.

I'm flying interstate to see another gyno next week as they don't do the treatment or surgery where I live, so hopefully I'll be in a better position to make a decision after then.

To be honest I just want it gone, it's such a restrictive & burdensome thing to have.

I wish you all the very best with shrinking it prior to surgery.

Thanks again,

Louise

• Posted

I've been on Esmya, or Fibristal here in Canada 3 times.  It has helped me a lot with my symptoms.  I did have a hard time during the time you wait between taking the drug.  But each time was easier.  I have been off the medication now for a little over a month.  Currently I am symptom free and I can't feel my fibroids anymore, however I am sure they are still there.  I'm considering going on the medication for a 4th time.  I'm hoping that will take me to menopause.  I also found a discussion on here that stated that women who have fibroids are magnesium deficient and the best way to get the magnesium is use it as a spray on your skin. (I spray it right on my belly.)  I have been symptom free around the same time I started doing this.  I can't say for sure that it's the magnesium that is contributing, but I've been feeling so much better I'm going to continue to do it, and the spray is inexpensive.  I actually signed on here to thank the person for posting the comment when I came across your question.  I have my next Gyno appointment in October.  I will know then how well things have worked out.  I've also had to drastically change my diet due to a sulfite sensitivity (no processed foods).  I think this has helped out as well.  I would definitely try the drug before any other more invasive procedures, especially if you have a drug plan.  The medication is expensive.  Here in Canada it's around a thousand dollars for a 3 months supply.

• Posted

Hi Carol,

That's great to hear!! Seems it was beneficial for you which is awesome. I'm minded to just go for the myomectomy as I don't have bleeding as such just a swollen belly & discomfort. It's very restrictive now and time to get it out.

Good luck with your appointment in October.

Louise 😃

• Posted

Hi Louise, I have tried Esmya for three cycles, it did help with the bleeding while I was on it and the first couple of cycles I definitely felt an improvement. The main problem I have found is during the breaks I was in dreadful pain and bleeding, this seems to be getting worse and last time I ended up at host on morphine! It would appear the blooming fibroids have not reduced at all and are possibly even larger! I still feel happy that I tried this as was trying to get to menopause, mother nature is not playing ball and at 51 I do not seem to be anywhere near.....also this break from the bleeding has given me the time to get my head around having a hysterectomy, I am totally ready now and know without a doubt that I want these things out of me on certain and for all, no more trying to deal with this as I want my life back!! I hope they work for you, but for me they gave me time to get prepared for surgery and I am now booked in for a TAH in August, won't lie that I am scared witless but at the same time can't wait to put this behind me, this condition has taken over my life for the last three years, time to move on....want to exercise again, not have to plan around "good weeks" etc!

I wish you well in whatever you decide, we are all different and what works for one person does not work for another......you have to do what is best for you. I have reached a point where enough is enough and I need to move on with my life......after surgery I hope to be pain free at last!!

Good luck

Barb xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.