esophagectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 37 and was diagnosed with Achalasia a little over 2 years ago. i had a Heller Robotic Myotomy and that seemed to imorove everything. About 8 months ago, I started experiencing dysphagia again and contacted my surgeon, after some testing it was discovered that the Achalasia had progressed. I am almost 2 months out from having an esophagectomy and have had multiple complicatons. Now it seems that I am on the mend, however I am reading a lot about long-term side effects and am getting more concerned that these will be interfering with my daily living. I have a 12 year old duaghter who has autism, I had the surgery to get better so I can be around to take care of her and I am afraid that things will never be "normal" again. Any advice or words rom experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I haven't as of yet had my surgery. Listening to what you said makes me feel maybe after some fine tuning you will indeed live a long and healthy life. With Alchalasia it just takes time unfortunately. Hang in there and think positive. I've got a feeling you'll be good as new soon. Just give it a chance!

DJRN

• Posted

I feel like my surgeon made it seem to be a faster and easier process than it actually is. I am aware that everyone is different, I'm honestly just trying to figure out what my next steps are... I've been unemployed since the end of February and would like to start the process of re-entering the workforce as soon as they remove my J-tube, but as things stand now, that doesn't seem to be a possibility. 

• Posted

Stay positive and focused. Soon this will be just a bad dream and you'll be back to normal. Wishing you much luck! 😊

• Posted

Do you have diabetes? That'd how I got mine I have neoapathy of my esphogus along with the achalasia . I ask about the diabetes cause mine was caused by high blood sugar reading . so if they not in control . well .,...

• Posted

No, I do not have any other health conditions that could be related to the Achalasia.
  • Posted

Autumn, I feel your pain. My multiple doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me for almost 7 years after tons of testing and procedures I was told I had Achalasia type3. Then I was talked into POEM then I had terrible reflux and the acid was doing extensive tissue damage so I was talked into doing a plication via an overstitch which was my biggest mistake. I now am almost back to the way I was 7 years ago with trouble swallowing, severe chest pain and reflux. This is a new disease to many doctors just do me a favor and be very careful which doctor you trust to take care of you. I sit at night and worry about what he did to me and if it's going to come apart . I don't eat and have trouble sleeping. Worse part is I have 3 other incurable diseases. Life stinks sometimes. Hope you choose well and feel better soon. Good luck

• Posted

An oesophagectomy is major surgery, and there are quite often some repercussions for your digestive system, but there are lots of people who have undergone this and enjoy a reasonable quality of life, with some performing some marvellous feats of cycling and other physical activities.   But it all takes much more time to regain proper health and strength than you would ever have envisaged;  it is not like having a six weeks period to recover from a broken leg.   And you cannot take it quicker than the body allows by, for instance, giving time for extra physiotherapy to get your muscles back into trim, as you can with some conditions.

The Oesophageal Patients Association is, to my knowledge, the largest group of people who have experience of this.   They have a website, where there are a number of helpful downloads, factsheets, a helpline and so on.   90% of their members have had the operation because of cancer issues, but their concerns are not really about cancer at all for our purposes.   My advice would be:  Eat little and often.   Avoid sweet food and anything with added sugar, if you can.   Give your digestive system time to come to terms with the fact that food will run through much quicker, something that can lead to 'dumping syndrome' (ie insulin spikes).   Beware of diarrhoea that can be caused by small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) but the solution is through antibiotics.  Complications like this are not automatic however, and those who have had the surgery because of achalasia usually do very well.   Downlaod the OPA guide to Life after Surgery.

?There is a forum for the OPA under HealthUnlocked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.