esotropia is coming back?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Dylan and I'm 16.

Ever since I was little, I had been wearing glasses to correct my accommodative esotropia where my left eye would turn inwards when I tried to focus on something close to me. 5 or so years ago the opticians told me that I no longer needed glasses and I'd only had minor problems since then.

But recently I've noticed that the symptoms are coming back. Not as often as when I was little, but when I have been reading something or focusing on something for a while, I will get a weird (not painful) sensation in my eyes and I experience double vision which only goes away if I either cover my left eye or "unfocus", which is more relaxing for my eyes but when it happens everything is really blurry and I can't read anything. My eyes will often unfocus on their own when I relax and although I can focus when this happens I have to try really hard and it puts a strain on my eyes.

Is this normal for people who have outgrown their accommodative esotropia? Or is mine just coming back?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Dylan, have you been to see an Ophthalmologist?  [At your local hospital]  If not, I think you should ask your GP to refer you and if you have, then you should telephone his secretary and ask for a follow up appointment.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi , I think there are chances that esotropia comes back after few years Of surgery .so, I would suggest you to visit your doctor before its too late.
  • Posted

It might be that now you're older and doing more close study, that's when your symptoms start to show. Its likely that you'll always have a tendancy for your eyes to turn in, but your eye muscles have been able to control it themselves for the past 5 years. If you've not had a recent eye test then that's the place to start, maybe glasses can help again. You didn't mention surgery in your post so I'm assuming you didn't need any treatment other than glasses in the past?
  • Posted

Hi Dylan,

I'd suggest visiting your local optometrist to have a full binocular vision work up.

What might have happened since you stopped wearing your glasses is that your ability to fuse images between eyes have become "decompensated" with increased near work/stress/not wearing your full prescription.

At this moment, I'd suggest try to wear your glasses for any near work and see if that eleviates your eye strain/double vision, and see your optometrist when you can.

Your optometrist may prescribe glasses for near work, or may even suggest vision therapy to strengthen up your ability to fuse images.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.