Espohgeal cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, just recently in the past weeks, I developed a sore throat, but strangely, the pain was only confined to the left side. I merely brushed it off until I began to have earaches on the same side and both became extremely painful, to the point that I could barely eat, drink, or even swallow at all without agony. Since I have recently moved and have no GP at the moment, I went to a local urgent care and the doctor felt of my neck for swollen lymph nodes, which he did find one(on the left side of course), and checked my throat and ears. He said nothing about my ears, but only that he suspected I had pharyngitis and gave me a prescription of amoxicillin and to come back in a few days if nothing had changed. I plan on doing as recommended, but I'm very worried about possible throat cancer, and I'm aware that throat cancer is too vague a term to use correctly. Recently my girlfriend was diagnosed with HPV, and since she had her pap smear completed before we were active and it.was clear, which leads me to believe I'm possibly carrying HPV and I'm aware of the HPV- linked cancers on the rise. I'm not sure what to do next other than see a family doctor if the symptoms keep up. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Swollen lymph nodes can be the sign of infection; accept your doctor's diagnosis of pharyngitis and try to focus on simpler, non threatening causes.

• Posted

even if your symptoms go away you need to be asked to be tested for hpv of the mouth that way you can be on top of it. i was diagnosed with hpv and had cryotherapy done for precancerous cells and it took care of it all

• Posted

Hi, yes I do plan to follow the advice of the physician, and I also am going to follow up with a GP if nothing changes. As far as the oral HPV testing goes, I was told that there is no test available for men as far as HPV and the only tests available are for women and only then for cervical cancer. The only way that HPV could be discovered is by checking for lesions in the mouth or so I was told.

• Posted

this os not truei was tested through biopsy and right away they knew i had hpv from the biopsy and its the same for men a biopsy would show it.

• Posted

I just thought I'd give a small update on what's happened since my last post. I had to cancel my first appointment with the ENT due to financial issues, but will be going this thursday at the same time. I ended up going to the local er in Wilcox, AZ due to my throat hurting badly and both ears as well. They did a lymph node check, neck x-ray, blood tests, and CT scan of my neck area, but the tests came back inconclusive, but all my neck lymph nodes are swollen, especially the ones on the left side of my neck. They also found raised bumps on the back of my tongue and in my throat, which really concerns me, but now just waiting for the appointment, which of course is the hardest part. I never smoked hardly in the past and never drank, although I grew up around second hand smoke. I still worry about being an HPV carrier, but from what I've been told, theres no real way to tell. I guess I'll give another update once I find out what the ENT finds and tells me.

• Posted

If you still have tonsils, it could be tonsilitis. My brother had it and he had white spots on his tonsils.

• Posted

Hi - this happened to me. I developed what felt like a sore lump in the right side of my throat. Went to the docs and they sent me to hospital. Basically it was scar tissue caused by acid reflux - they removed it and it was fine. No cancer. Even now though when I get a flare up, I get soreness in the same spot which then subsides and goes away again. I don't know if you have any acid reflux symptoms but sore throat is a well documented symptom.

• Posted

Your best bet is to see your doctor and that will give you answers and soothe your worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.